UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss intro & question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

crofty

Hi
As a competent DIYer Im building an extension and installing wet underfloor heating. The area is 60m2 plus 20m2 (separate rooms) and I wondered if you experienced tilers could help with some advice to make sure I get it right? The floor will be a structural slab (100mm) with 110mm insulation on top and then screed over the pipework. I will put in expansion joints (structural and screed) and would expect a minimum of 5mm expansion of each slab even without hetaing it up (the larger area will be split 60/40) but dont know how to accommodate movement over the joint with tiles. I would use the flexible adhesive but dont know which grout to use or whether I need to put an expansion joint between the tiles where they overlay the concrete expansion joint (probably foam). Any help appreciated?
crofty

C

crofty

Hi
Was thinking of travertine but realise how brittle it is, so unless I can be sure that it wont crack I will have to use something like porcelain. Never heard of a decoupling membrane, can you point me to a website to get a better understanding?
Thanks for your help, the quote "experience is simply the name we give our mistakes" is spot on, but I like the saying " fools never learn, clever people learn by their mistakes, but wise people learn by other peoples mistakes".........travertine is too expensive for me to make a mistake on!
Thanks again

C

crofty

Thanks very much, I will have a look.
With regards to quality of travertine, Im open to any knowledge you can provide. I can only judge the material on whether it had been filled (thinking that the better product hasnt been....as long as there are no holes) and if it is of the same thickness, but prices dont seem to confirm this. I dont mind paying for a decent product, but dont want to pay £35/m for something worth £13/m??????
Any thoughts appreciated

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to intro & question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, I had a small kitchen extension built a couple of years ago. The new sand and cement screed...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, looking for advice. About to install a limestone floor. 900mm x 600mm x18mm on a 50mm...
Replies
Views
Forgive me for I am noob... I have a 9m x 9m floor area that is one space, but half is a new...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
intro & question
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.