Guest viewing is limited

Discuss is 6mm ply suitable? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

reggie09

Hi all, just looked at a potential job for tiling the floors in one bathroom and two en-suites, the house is only one year old and has chipboard panels through out which are nailed to joists from what i can see, the owner of said house says two previous tilers have recommended putting 6mm ply or similar down before tiling and now insists that this is done! Im not certain this will be suitable and would appreciate any advice as to whether this is the case or not?
many thanks for any advice recieved!

T

Time's Ran Out

:welcome:Reggie - How long have you been tiling and why do you think that 6mm plywood is not suitable. If the owner insists on it being used how are you going to persuade him to use something else. Have you heard of Hardie backer boards and do you know how much they cost.
Reggie I'am just asking the questions that you haven't filled in!
Technology today provides us with a 6mm tile backer board which comes in sheets of 1500x900mm and you stick to the chipboard with the same flexible adhesive you'll use for the tiling. You also screw it down and tape the joints. You then have a non movement tile background that is water resistant and easy to tile on. It is however about 2 times the price of plywood but a professional job. Armed with this information you should have no trouble defeating the opposition!
Good luck.:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

D

davy_G

If 6mm ply is already down i tend to say 'you may as well have laid cardboard' what a waste.
Mind you i tiled a wee bathroom for a plumber who prepped the room. He tanked the shower on my insistance, but would not be convinced to rip up the 6mm ply and insulate as I was installing UFH. I told him it was all at his risk and he was happy with that. Fingers crossed, only used the 100 not the 160mA as a compromise after advice from UHeat

R

reggie09

thanks for all the comments, my original plan is to make sure current floor is sound then put 6mm hardi down(best price from ctd for the usual 1500x900 sheets) not sure why someone would advise putting plywood down if they knew much about the job, ive spoke to customer again and explained the pros and cons and was told that they would be happy for 11mm hardwood? think i might be flogging a dead horse with this one, i suppose some would say if thats what the customer wants then ill do it, but in my mind i just know it will be a waste of time! i suppoose i will find out shortly if i have persuaded them!

G

grumpygrouter

thanks for all the comments, my original plan is to make sure current floor is sound then put 6mm hardi down(best price from ctd for the usual 1500x900 sheets) not sure why someone would advise putting plywood down if they knew much about the job, ive spoke to customer again and explained the pros and cons and was told that they would be happy for 11mm hardwood? think i might be flogging a dead horse with this one, i suppose some would say if thats what the customer wants then ill do it, but in my mind i just know it will be a waste of time! i suppoose i will find out shortly if i have persuaded them!
???????

G

grumpygrouter

If the floor is stable why are you not using ditra matting its one of the best decoupling systems on the market and does not increase the height issues
Regards
marbleman
Personal opinion this, but one of the issues with tiling straight on to chipboard is the potential for the chips in the board to break up giving the potential for delamination of the tiled surface. Ditra is still only glued to the chipboard so has potentially the same problem. Hardie on the other hand is also mechanically fixed giving more protection from the break up potential of the chipboard.

Reply to is 6mm ply suitable? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Looking for advice on how much adhesive to use. I’ve taken on my first tiling project and found...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’ve searched endlessly for an answer to this and can’t seem to find an answer, so I...
Replies
Views
Hi - we would very much appreciate some advice. In October 2020 we had a sole trader come in to...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
is 6mm ply suitable?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.