Discuss Is my bathroom floor stable enough for tiling? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

V

vetinry

Good evening
We're finally at the stage of installing the new master bathroom in our ongoing renovation project. After careful consideration, I've decided to go for electric UFH rather than wet becuase I didn't want to have to take up the bathroom floor.

However, the plumber has said that he thinks that the joist are too far apart and that I may have problems with tiles. The joists are at approx 600mm centres and there is 22mm plywood over the top. I'm keen not to raise the floor level too much because we will be carpeting the hallway and so ideally I don't want a big step up into the bathroom.

But, to make a better key for tiling, and to provide some downwards insulation for the UFH, I was planning on putting a thin tile backer board down.

I was really hoping not to have to lift the existing floor but question is, will this provide enough rigidity for tiles, or am I going to have to strengthen the floor?

Any advice gratefully received.

Steve

V

vetinry

Thanks for the replies.

Dave - Not sure what TGI joists are. They are 8 x 2 timber joists.
Pete - should I just use noggins at 90 degrees to the main joists? If so, what size wood should I go for? Will 4 x 2 be strong enough?

I guess it's the answer I was expecting but not hoping for. At least it will allow me to put some insulation in the void below the floor.

So, if I've strengthed the floor, do I still need to use tile backer board, or could I lay the UFH cable and tiles directly onto the ply?

Steve

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Is my bathroom floor stable enough for tiling? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
OK hear me out. Kitchen floor. Pro tiler. 15mm clearance from top of dishwasher to underside of...
Replies
Views
I’ve got 3/4” MDF over 1-1/2” t&g car decking, over 6x8” joists on 48” centers. All solid, good...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB