UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Is slc required in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

johnymurchi

Hi guys,
Im about to tile my kitchen floor with 600x600x10 mm porcelain tiles.The floor is 22mm t+g chipboard,so my plan is to screw this to the joist then lay 6mm ply(screwed ever 300mm). i was then planning to prime the ply and lay my ufh followed by a small layer of slc then bal rapidset flex adesive and tiles then finally grout with bal superflex.Sadly i only have aroun 30mm to fit all this in, so i am wondering if slc is required,The ufh company so its only a recommendation? Your thought on my plan guys? Many Thanks

A

Aston

if the floor is stable and strong when the t&g is screw and fixed, then i would lay 6mm marmox boards over the surface.
1. it will give you a stable surface on which to tile . 2. it will act as a better insulation for the ufh. 10mm is recommended but if height is an issue, 6mm will have to do.

as for the slc. it will make the tiling a lot easier due to the flat smooth surface and it will protect the ufh if you ever have to lift a tile due to any failures whereas spreading adhesive over wires is a bit more tricky and time consuming but yes, you dont actually need the slc, its your call on that one.

J

johnymurchi

Could i ask whats the issue with ply?the floor is insulated below the chipboard,so is more insulation really required?or does the marmox have other advantages aswell? Excuse my ignorance, Ive done alot of reading about all of these but trying to decifer what is usefull and what is spiel by the companies is proving difficult.Hearing it 1st hand from you guys is a much more benifical in my opinion. My problem with the slc is that the floor is level as it sits and im worried if i start using slc i will end up with hills and valleys so to speak.Many Thanks

I

Ian

The quality of ply on the market at the moment is poor and also it will warp or even delaminate if any moisture gets near it, this will not happen with a cement board. 15mm ply is the minimum recommendation for a tiling substrate. As for the SLC, you will need to cover the heating wires one way or another, be it with SlC or flexible tile adhesive, and SLC is always the better option as you can then tile safely knowing that you won't snag a heating cable with your trowel. Remember the SLC only has to just cover the wires by a couple of mm so shouldn't cause that much of an issue.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Is slc required in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
I'm embarking on tiling a kitchen, wall-to-wall (under washing machine etc). most of the floor...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Is slc required
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.