UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss is the Price right? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Drastik Lee

Hi,

I had a quote to do today for 4 en-suites in a big country house B&B (2x bathrooms with showers over the baths & 2x shower rooms) i quoted a price of £1740 all in including materials, tiles (fairly cheap ones to be fair but its what the customer wanted) and installation including waterproofing and bonding in shower areas.

But the customer seem to think this is to high .... i thought its sounded pretty reasonable :mad2:

Thoughts please

D

dave l and l

seems it depend on what area you work from. i would charge anywhere between 20 to 30 per m2 not including materials.
for basic ceramic and the size of the job i would have to be about 20 a m2 labour to get job...
went to look at job recently, was 4 houses to tile, guy told me if i could beat 7 pound a m2 i had it,spoke to the two guys doing job and right enough they were charging 7 per m2 and were happy with that ..there is no hope

B

bugs183

£7 unreal!!
Did you give the customer a breakdown of everything on the estimate? Some people get a figure in their head out of no where.
May be go back detailing everything, and talk them through the job, how long it will take for each stage etc.
I've done that before and if you show them that you know your stuff they gain confidence in you.
Doesn't sound like you've over charged at all.
I priced a 30m2 travertine floor, needs levelling and an uncoupling mat, someone has priced it at £250!!!!! I do find that If someone is daft enough to go for the cheapest quote they often aren't worth working for anyway.
Good luck.

D

Drastik Lee

Ive gotta go back tomorrow with the plumber to discuss a few things about the plumbing and tiling so it cant be that bad lol i always do a full breakdown in all my quotes including terms & conditions etc. so ill get to have another chat tomorrow so ill do my bit then :thumbsup:

Cheers

also it was a mere of a quote to do as you can imagine breaking down four seperate rooms, sourcing tiles and material prices (which were all done at trade price)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dave l and l

i dont know how they do it as they were travelling a good twenty miles to get to job. i also think they were a pair of chancers and decided to slap tiles up and hope for best. the guy that owned the building company nearly spat the dummy when said to him 20 a m2 labour,
30 m2 of travertine for 250, thats crazy too. saying that i know a couple of chancers who would do it for 210

M

Mike Mike

I'm finding this all fascinating. Do you know what the m2 rate is here? There isn't one. NOBODY tiles here on a m2 rate. It is hourly, plus materials (which are NOT at trade prices).

Want to know what the hourly rate costs? 500kr (£46.95 at the current exchange rate). It literally sounds to me, based on some of the prices I've seen in this thread, and others, that people are working in the U.K. on DAY RATES of not much more than that. Are we allowed to swear in The Tiler's Arms?

When I tell you this next bit, you will probably all start swearing....

Since 2008, when the financial crisis really took hold, the Swedish govt decided to safeguard the building industry by introducing a scheme whereby private home owners could get a 50% reduction in the labour costs for any work they have done on their property, up to a maximum of £5,000 per person, per year, but only if they used a reputable, registered company (includes sole traders as well as Ltd companies).

So a couple living together could get up to £10,000 reduction on labour costs, per year.

If they had an extension built for example and the labour cost was £20k + VAT, they would only pay £10k + VAT. The builder fills out some forms and submits it to the govt. who them pay him the other £10k.

I know what you're thinking, why on earth would they do that? Well, we have to charge VAT on ALL building work, doesn't matter what your turnover is. And VAT here is 25%. Secondly, if you are not a Ltd company you pay around 45% total tax on profit (Ltd companies pay 26%, BUT, you have to pay yourself as an employee, and all the associated social security taxes that entails, so overall it is about the same).

Here are the workings of the scheme. Let's say you do £10,000 + VAT worth of labour for a homeowner.

Customer pays £5,000 + VAT (£1,250) = £6,250.
Govt pays you £5,000 (50% of the total labour cost excluding VAT).
Govt receives tax from you @ 45% of £10,000 = £4,500.

Total money paid out by govt = £5,000
Total tax rec'd by govt = £5,750

Net cost to taxpayer = Nothing. It actually makes a profit for the taxpayer.

And what does it mean to the industry? Well, homeowners don't know when the scheme might be ended, and so are all desperate not to lose out, and despite the financial climate, people are still renovating their houses and flats.

Cowboys, typically (or stereotypically) immigrant workers, often uninsured, technically unemployed and receiving benefits, doing shoddy work with no guarantee for cash in hand don't get a look in. Who in their right mind is going to pay a cowboy when they can get a professional for the same price?

I feel for you guys over there. From what I'm reading your govt doesn't care less about it's building industry workers, does nothing to assist, and in fact is actively encouraging a race to the bottom by introducing all these eatern European workers who drive prices down.

p.s. I know 45% tax sounds outrageously high, but never judge a book by it's cover. Every tax payer, even employees on PAYE, can offset ALL loan interest against their income tax liability. If you pay a mortgage, or a car loan, or credit card interest, or any other kind of loan, then 100% of the interest you have paid in that tax year is deducted from your taxable income. If you are an employee and have to commute to work then you can claim £0.30 per mile off your tax bill after the first £900. The Swedish system is interesting in that it rewards people who spend and take on loans. If you live in a rented house/flat, drive an old car, pay your credit card bill on time, and have no loans then you pay more tax than someone who has a mortgage, a car loan, and other loans. How can that be fair? Because believe it or not, the people spending, taking on loans and buying things are the people who are helping keep the economy going. People who scrimp and save and don't spend cause it to contract and stagnate. That's why I fear for the U.K. economy. If people are expected to work for a hundred quid a day, maybe, then what good is that for them, or the govt, or the overall economy? How can they spend when they can barely afford to keep themselves alive?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to is the Price right? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys. Customer has one of those townhouses where the bottom floor is dug into the ground so...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.