Discuss Is this a good job? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

Bobby

Hi all,
I'm having a bathroom fitted at my home by a bathroom fitter with some really good recommendations behind him. I don't know much about tiling etc myself so want to know if he's doing a good job so far? He's quite expensive so I'd like an opinion that I'm getting what I'm paying for.

IMG_0483.JPG IMG_0481.JPG IMG_0499.JPG IMG_0525.JPG

Q

Qwerty

Just the expense really. Like all things. I like to know I'm not being ripped off. So far in 6 days he's ripped all out reboarded two walls which were damp plasterboard. Re routed pipework under the floor installed shower tray and pipework and put some blue stuff on the concrete walls and tiled it up to the batten height. I think it could be a bit quicker to be honest

I would take around 6 days for that so seems alright to me. What would be your course of action if the pros on here told you he was taking too long? Once work has been agreed so should a timescale. Was this not discussed?

O

One Day

If he's on fixed price then please, leave him to get on. It looks very good so far. You've agreed a price and you will enjoy the end result.

If he's on day rate, then you should have got an estimate off him first. Usual allowance of 20% over is acceptable. More than that, then just talk.

You can't have everything!
High quality / cheap / fast - pick 2.
Get it? You simply can't have all 3!

I know you said he's expensive. For a high quality, fast job, my day rate would make you cry!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Layout looks good, mitred trims are fine, cuts to ceiling and bath are good size from pics.

Just read the tag line below my post and hopefully once it's completed you can enjoy it. Every time you walk in your bathroom you'll be glad you paid what you did. Take a look at the some of the rogue workmanship threads on here, it'll make your eyes water!!!

B

Bobby

Hi everyone. Bathroom is almost finished now. He has some delays because of other work etc. I must say I feel a little stupid now questioning the workmanship. The bathroom looks amazing. I'll post some pics once he's fitted the enclosure for the shower. The thing that made me question the situation was that the fitting was more expensive than the suite and tiles. I must admit that it looks far easier to do than it actually is and shocked of how long it all takes. I assumed it would be done in a few days. It's taken 9 days and he has a day left for mastic and final bits

L

LM

he used green moisture resistant plasterboard and cement based adhesive with flexible water resistant white grout. I've just checked all materials packaging in the grab bag. All made by Mapei. I'll also ask the question tomorrow when he's back to finish it off
I don't want to come accross too brutal, but the shower are should have been tanked. Moisture resistant plasterboard won't stand up to water ingress behind the tiles.

Reply to Is this a good job? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB