Discuss Is this a good job? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I only tank when they say they want it.
A fully tiled wall should be fine.
We used to tile houses with tubbed addy over plaster in the 80s,no problems.
Yes if it leaks behind the tiles it will buugger up the plasterboard (if it leaks constantly for 12months ;)
But if tiled right it shouldnt leak behind the tile and full bed of addy.
I beleive telling the thread starter that 'it should 100% be tanked' , you have just given him unessesery worry and another reason to have a go at the tiler .
Bit out of order :(

T

Time's Ran Out

I think a professional tiler should ask the question rather than wait for the client to suggest or even not know about the improvements our industry has made in 30 years!
However I rarely tile on non waterproof substrates where there is a risk of water/moisture ingress.
Tanking for me is Wedi boards, taped and secure. Never been a fan of paint on or stick on membranes as weight issues come into the equation.
I used to fix wall tiles with chicken mesh and sand/cement and never had a problem until showers and central heating came along. Move with the times my son says

T

Tile Shop

Never been a fan of paint on or stick on membranes as weight issues come into the equation.

I had an enquiry about this a while back. I found out that the BAL WP1 has its own limit of 32Kg's psqm regardless of the substrate (the standard substrate limits would override that, so still only 20kg if tanked onto plaster). But the BAL Tank-it, Ardex WPC, Mapegum WPS and the Norcros Wet Seal, all match the substrate limits.

If a wall needed replacing though, I'd opt for wedi, marmox or kerdi-board as it would cut out the need for a "middle man".

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I think a professional tiler should ask the question rather than wait for the client to suggest or even not know about the improvements our industry has made in 30 years!
However I rarely tile on non waterproof substrates where there is a risk of water/moisture ingress.
Tanking for me is Wedi boards, taped and secure. Never been a fan of paint on or stick on membranes as weight issues come into the equation.
I used to fix wall tiles with chicken mesh and sand/cement and never had a problem until showers and central heating came along. Move with the times my son says
My bad John, I worded it wrong, I ask if they say yeah, it gets done, if they say no, it doesn't .
It's hard to prove how good it is when you rip there old shower out, what has been tiled for years with no damage .
Lee it won't fairif done right.
If that much water gets behind a domestic shower to ruin it, it's been done wrong , if your not confident in your work, tank away my friend ;) ;):kissingheart:

L

LM

My bad John, I worded it wrong, I ask if they say yeah, it gets done, if they say no, it doesn't .
It's hard to prove how good it is when you rip there old shower out, what has been tiled for years with no damage .
Lee it won't fairif done right.
If that much water gets behind a domestic shower to ruin it, it's been done wrong , if your not confident in your work, tank away my friend ;) ;):kissingheart:
Cheers @widler I will do :)
I suppose then there was no need for Schluter, Marmox, Wedi, Ardex/BAL, Keracol, Aquapannel, Techknik etc etc etc to have bothered with all those products then, idiots!;);):kissingheart:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I'm trying to find out where I've said these products are not needed :flushed:...............................nope, I'm struggling :grimacing:
I'm not getting into a argument about a domestic shower and tanking though , even not gonna bite to being called a idiot :fearscream:
Like I said, it's hard work explaining to some customers the pros of all these new products when they have had showers tiled for decades with no problems :yum:
good nigh god bless :thumbsup:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I'm trying to find out where I've said these products are not needed :flushed:...............................nope, I'm struggling :grimacing:
I'm not getting into a argument about a domestic shower and tanking though , even not gonna bite to being called a idiot :fearscream:
Like I said, it's hard work explaining to some customers the pros of all these new products when they have had showers tiled for decades with no problems :yum:
good nigh god bless :thumbsup:

Don't think Lee was referring to you as an idiot Craig, it's them fools down at Schluter etc making products for folk who want belt and braces

T

Time's Ran Out

I'am the same with UFH. I tell them I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't mention at this stage, had they considered UFH.

I think the change started when power showers came out. There seemed to be a lot of leaking units then and lots of complaints for the manufacturers to deal with. Hence the gradual increase in waterproofing products.
As I said earlier it's the substrate I look at not the coverings.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Don't think Lee was referring to you as an idiot Craig, it's them fools down at Schluter etc making products for folk who want belt and braces

Ha ha reading it back I see that now, i was reading it and talking to the Mrs at the same time, us men should never multi task :)

T

Terry the tiler

My god you do sound like a nightmare customer. Routing through the rubbish to check what materials he's used.
It's like an obsessed ex girlfriend.
The work looks fine and sometimes things take time.
He may have been expensive but looks to me like he's done a decent job and you get what you pay for.
The only thing I would maybe question is the boarding in the shower although I have tiled onto MR plasterboard for contractors before with no probs.
Personally I would use hardie backer or wedi board but that's just me.
I hope the rest of your refit goes well and you have no problems.
Have a bit more trust for us in the future!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Is this a good job? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB