Discuss Is this acceptable? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford
They are making it very difficult and keep trying to convince me that certain shortcuts will be ok. I'm sticking to my guns but as a woman feel rather intimidated by 3 men who back each other up. I'm afraid it got to a point where I told them either they do the job properly or I'm going to ask them to leave my home and get someone else to finish the job and once I've paid the new person, they will get what's left of the total sum agreed. It's all went so quiet. I will be deducting the cost of additional tiles and replacement top for my washing machine.

Good for you standing your ground:thumbsup::smilewinkgrin:

S

smurfitt

Well, here's the latest:
Tiling (so far) has been checked by a kitchen bathroom fitter, whose opinion is that they didn't use use spacers in some places as some tiles are skewed, with gaps ranging from 3mm to 6mm. The worst area is where the floor units are going, meaning it will be even more noticeable. There's also a chipped tile which they argue will be hidden once my fridge freezer is in place. That surely isn't the point because if I decide to move it somewhere else later on the chip will be noticeable.
In addition, the hallway has not been planned correctly to create balance with the tiling. To explain, there is a 3inch tile one end and a full tile the other. I'm told if should had been planned so there was a half tile either end.
I am going to ask them to take the chipped tile up and replace and also ask them to remove 6 tiles that will accentuate the crooked grout line that will run 3inches parallel to the base of the units. There's not a lot I can do about the hallway as they refuse to redo it.
So, although some problems may get sorted with a lot of time wasted on them trying to convince me that grout will hide a lot, I've been advised that unless the whole lot is re-done properly the finished job is going to be below standard.
It's a week down the line and still nowhere near finished. Apart from the inconvenience, I've lost a day's holiday, got a damaged washing machine, have a garden that resembles a rubble site and so far it's cost me £60 for extra boxes of tiles/adhesive.

I have taken photos of the work but they are supposed to completing the work tomorrow and I'm really not happy about paying out the full amount

S

smurfitt

[ floor 022 [1600x1200].JPG
The hallway joins kitchen and lounge and front entrance via doorways. There is a small step up to the kitchen. Pic attached showing view from kitchen towards lounge, entrance door on left. I will post some more including some images of skewed tiling. Whilst I have our attention, can I ask another question as they are coming back tomorrow evening and I want to make sure they don't make a hash of something else.
I understand that they need to keep the gap clear between floor and upstand for the silicone sealant so should they grout the floor before fitting the upstands.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

Initial reaction, not good setting out ( small cuts) but hard to say without more pics:oops:

Yes without knowing the full layout of all areas it would not be fair to say. You could say that those small cuts are bad but if they werent there , it could be worse else where.
Strange they have used spacers in places and not in others ?? may as well have not bothered.

Whats with the architraves being so far off the floor ?

S

smurfitt

Thankyou for your comments.
Regarding the 1st pic - it was pointed out to me that had they planned the hallway with half a tile at each end the small cut around the corner would be avoided and the tiling would look more balanced. As it stands, there is a full tile one end and small cut tiles the other.
Architraves were cut for laminate flooring prior to me moving in the house. They will be rectified by a carpenter at a later date and will have silicone sealant in expansion joints so they are not resting on the tiles.

Reply to Is this acceptable? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Has anyone ever installed wall or floor tile with little or no gap between tiles? Is it...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi I’ve tiled my bathroom floor on top of hardie cement board. I have left expansion gaps all...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Is this acceptable?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.