Discuss Is this acceptable? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

Re: Is the acceptable?

Remember the saying " You're only as good as your last job" the customers themselves may be happy with it, but at some point a friend or family member might notice it and ask, "who did your tiling?" and thats when a reputation gets tainted. You are right to feel uneasy. You quite clearly take great pride in your work and like to maintain a high standard. Just a thought.

G

Gazzer

have booked to re do it tomo afternoon. Otherwise i will be sitting there eating me christmas pud wishing i had changed it. In truth i'm very suprised this tiler thought it was acceptable in the first place. Does anyone know wether the british standards for tiling cover this issue? I would rather not get into the 'its a matter of taste' argument.

No its a matter of being rough !

C

cornish_crofter

As soon as I read this I could see the problem.

You should avoid cut edges with ceramic tiles if at all possible. They will always be a sharp profile and will look out of place against all the other edges.

Porcelain is another matter provided the depth of colour is there. I have just done my 2nd wetroom former with envelope cuts for the fall. The last time the customer went out and bought the porcelain floor tiles after I had explained to him in great detail about dept of glazing etc so that you couldn't see the backing on the cut. It clearly went above his head as he came back with the cheapest OK looking porcelain floor tiles. He may as well have got ceramic FFS!

Anyway I managed to cut them and grout (using BAL ebony E/F grout). Despite the tiles being what they were I managed to hide it - just!

This time I narrowed the range of tiles down for the customer and he chose out of that range. The tiles are the same colour all the way through. They're not that expensive either, but are as hard as nails.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cornish_crofter

I was taught if you have to meet cut tiles it should always be cut to cut and good edge to good edge, we were also made to ease the cut edge with a rubbing stone, I am sure this still stands today so in my opinion you are right to change the cuts

With the envelope cut for the wetroom former cut to cut is what I did.

Unfortunately rubbing it with a rubbing stone would have just exposed more of the light coloured sub layer with the first wetroom :LOL:

T

thegwads

if customers do not want edging, on say a kitchen worktop at the sides, what is wrong with, if setting out deems it is the best way to lay, turning the last tile on a run around, so that a cut is facing a clean edge, so the final tile has a smooth edge facing out? if you catch my drift....
so lets say a 2.1m worktop length to tiel splashback wise, and you set out central to the taps or window, and it just so happens that the last tile needs to be cut down so it finishes flush to the end of the worktop. In this situation, i see nothing wrong with turning the tile around - in fact surely it is safer?
same applies to glass tiles, laid in brick bond formation, coming to a finish not against an interior corner. you need to finish flush lets say, so is it surely not better to turn cut around?

S

Sean fsy

if customers do not want edging, on say a kitchen worktop at the sides, what is wrong with, if setting out deems it is the best way to lay, turning the last tile on a run around, so that a cut is facing a clean edge, so the final tile has a smooth edge facing out? if you catch my drift....
so lets say a 2.1m worktop length to tiel splashback wise, and you set out central to the taps or window, and it just so happens that the last tile needs to be cut down so it finishes flush to the end of the worktop. In this situation, i see nothing wrong with turning the tile around - in fact surely it is safer?
same applies to glass tiles, laid in brick bond formation, coming to a finish not against an interior corner. you need to finish flush lets say, so is it surely not better to turn cut around?

Some times you just have to walk away from jobs if you think its not going to look right. After all its your name all over the job. Its ok for a customer to say yeh that will be fine, but if looked at from an outside point of view it may look rough and amatuerish bit of a diy disaster.

Reply to Is this acceptable? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
New here and no knowledge of professional tiling! I had one installer do three new bathrooms. He...
Replies
Views
Hi all I was hoping to get your opinions / thoughts on some work done in the kitchen by the...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Is this acceptable?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.