UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Is this appropriate? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Martino

Hi im not sure if this is going to be allowed on here but.....we all have heard about the 20% VAT increase on caravans.

Im sure we all no someone who could potentially lose there job?, alot of people are going to be at risk..

Not very good for Morgatges!!.....i.e MINE, as my Girlfriend is a designer for major caravan company she could potentially lose her job...

If you DONT AGREE with the increase PLEASE SIGN THIS PETTITON!!

Drop the VAT hike on the sale of static caravans - e-petitions

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

This is still the best country in the world.
Everything else has got VAT on so why not static homes? Until they said they were going to put it on I wasn't aware that it wasn't already charged.
It's always difficult when people lose their jobs - but if I'am honest - who worries about me - I have to look for work every day of the year and if it gets quiet I cut the cloth accordingly and look further around for that next piece of magic.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Hopefully it will make taking the family abroad for a holiday more competative with staying in the country and enduring the rubbish British weather.
The way i see it caravaning is a leisure activity. I play golf, i'll pay VAT on my clubs, on my green fees, on my golf balls, and tees and the apparel most courses indicate i should be wearing, like shoes etc. Too right VAT should be on caravans, it's on cars, vans and other moveable vehicles.

F

Fliselege

This is still the best country in the world.
QUOTE]
I'm proud to be English but can't agree with you there. My residency permit just ran out here, and for a multitude of reasons I now qualify to become a Norwegian citizen, an offer I declined as I would never give up my British passport so I took a permanent redidents permit instead. The policeman dealing with me said people would give their right arm for a Norwegian passport, my reply was "They'd give a lot more for a British one, now get off my case!" That was one confused and speechless policeman. Having said that, I'd rather push hot needles into my eyes than move back there, been an outside observer for too long I guess.
But seeing things like this here makes me want to break out singing Rule Britiania, don't see this here very often. It had valid tax disc but was left hand drive.
Phone Pics 009.jpg
Phone Pics 010.jpg

F

Fliselege

Saying that, please don't think I am now living on paradise on earth, Norway has it's problems and is far from a great country, I've got about 10 years left here, as soon as my daughter is old enough to put her mates, hobbies and life before me, I'm offski, don't ask where, not decided yet, but it'll be somewhere a bit sunnier and lower in tax, no more than 3 hours flight from UK & Norway. I'm open to ideas!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fliselege

I have two possible retirement options for when i hang up my tools.

First is too far a flight for you but a nice little town on the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia.
If downunder is not on the cards you'll find me in the South of France with a view of the Med'
Love to go to Oz but too far, like to get home quick if the whim takes me. South of France would be lovely, had some cracking family holidays down there but more than likely end up in Albea in Spain, big Norwegian community and close to Benidorm if I want to mix with Brits. All I know at the mo is I won't be an old man in Norway, I want to end my days not having to worry about slipping on ice and breaking bones popping out for a paper

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I'm on the fence getting splinters in my bum.

I can see why VAT should be applied, it is mainly a luxury and a second 'home' for most I'd have thought. Travellers and some oldies aside. Pensioners should have a relief of some sort but not travellers - they need to pay more tax IMO!

Though for people working in the industry, although I feel for them, it's unfortunate that it's just the way things are now. Perhaps one could say the trade in general had it good for some time with not having to pay VAT. Something I also didn't know until this thread, let alone the announcement.

I think what they need to do is stop giving money aboard, and stop tax loop holes the rich use, and stop increasing prices on sigs and booze, and apparently soon "fat tax" too for the chubbies who eat 20,000 calories a day. It's not fair on those people, and it's fair to tax the rich I'd say.

VAT should only really be avoided for international trade (as it is) and also the disabled and the likes as those guys tend to need to spend a lot on accessories and whatnot to help them get about normal life, which I think it is too. Fair to say those who have suffered a move in pension age should have some allowance but those who have retired within the time, if they haven't got pensions, not sure it's the fault of the VAT man for that.

B

Billy Hunt

I have two possible retirement options for when i hang up my tools.

First is too far a flight for you but a nice little town on the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia.
If downunder is not on the cards you'll find me in the South of France with a view of the Med'

South of France for me too,all be it Provence about 45mins up from the med,love the French countryside and village life.

F

Fliselege

Stottie bread, Nescafe and goosebumps OR Baguettes, wine and the Euro:yikes:
I'd take either over pølser (Norwegian saussage made from what left on the slaughterhouse floor), Grandiosa pizza (edible cardboard with sick on it), and Evergood coffee (so strong you wonder why junkies bother with chemicals when this stuff does the job just as well)

D

Deleted member 9966

I supose i am all one sided on this as my girlfriend could lose her job and this would mean our house move is going to be put back..i allready work 2 jobs whats going on with house price's!!...thats another topic tho lol!...im getting the grumpy old man syndrome at the age of 26 haha!!....comes to us all in time!

surely if your girlfriend is in graphic design, she has many transferable skills though? she may lose the job she has currently, but that surely doesn't mean she won't get another job in graphic design?

what goes around comes around with the UK economy. My husband and I worked it out that since the 1970's, the UK had been in recession a total of 4 times, roughly every 10 years. Based on that, we believe that good times will build again over the next few years, and in about 10 years time it will all hit the fan again. as for house prices, these are only as high as what a buyer is willing to pay. if buyers are paying top whack, owners will be selling at higher and higher prices.

Reply to Is this appropriate? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

M
1988 My safety knowledge was that I thought just road workers wore hi viz ! 2015 being at the...
Replies
Views
S
R
Could you help young people learn skills for employment in construction? PT TUTOR to teach a...
Replies
Views
Rebecca Bowden
R
E
So I'm having trouble with a customer relating to grout (Bal Micromax) I have tiled 70 sq...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
D
The guys at Hansgrohe have made life great for clients but difficult for installers. There is...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
tilersforums.com is 10 years old on April 2nd 2016. Here's the first thread on the forum from...
Replies
Views
The D
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.