Discuss Is this marine plywood? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Speedoman

Hi

Can anyone please tell me going by the picture below, if the information stamped on the plywood, indicates if this is marine plywood that I have brought?

Thank you

Attachments

• WP_20140730_014.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 128
T

TJ Smiler

Can't really tell from that mate, i do know that a lot of ply is currently being shipped over from china to the like of Travis Perkings, Jewsons, Wicks etc and the stuff they are getting is shuttering ply (which is not marine ply) the stamp says structural ply for walls, floors and roofs so it could well be marine ply. Best to check it out with someone who can see it up close though

C

Colour Republic

Thank you all for your replies!

I brought this from travis perkins

I cannot see any BS1088 stamp mark on the plywood but the invoice says marine plywood and BS1088

The size is 2440 x 1220 x 18

I paid £39.18 + vat

I phoned buildbase first and they wanted £57 + vat

I will call travis perkins tomorrow!

The quality of ply varies massively, just like the quality of it from one supplier to the next. your £40+vat from TP could be way over priced, yet the £57+vat from buildbase could have been a bargain.

To put in to perspective you can pay anywhere from £15+ to £100+ for 18mm ply dependind on the quality

For a decent supplier who know their onions, look at Robbins - http://www.robbins.co.uk/pdf/Marine_Pricelist.pdf

T

TJ Smiler

No great need for marine ply then, i use WPB 18mm for that which i get from a timber merchants and not a diy store, usually sets me back about 25 plus vat and is good quality. If your worried about leaks then just waterproof the floor. Personally i don't but i do prime the underside and any exposed edges of the ply. Tank the walls and the corner join between the wall base and the floor before you fit the tray, make sure the floor is flat and level and is solid, put extra noggins between your joists especially under the tray area.

S

Speedoman

No great need for marine ply then, i use WPB 18mm for that which i get from a timber merchants and not a diy store, usually sets me back about 25 plus vat and is good quality. If your worried about leaks then just waterproof the floor. Personally i don't but i do prime the underside and any exposed edges of the ply. Tank the walls and the corner join between the wall base and the floor before you fit the tray, make sure the floor is flat and level and is solid, put extra noggins between your joists especially under the tray area.

I am actually doing everything you have mentioned, but I have brought marine plywood before, so I just brought it this time round also!

O

One Day

My supplier used to sell 100% hardwood WBP ply.
Recently it looked like it changed so I asked for a copy of the certs if available to file with my invoice.
The manager said it had changed to softwood core and hardwood outers but that is all anyone could get these days.
Admitted that it wasn't as good and wouldn't give any guarantees although it was still getting sold as the old stuff.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Is this marine plywood? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hello, I assumed I could tile onto marine plywood and my tiles fell off ... I'm tiling on a...
Replies
Views
Can anyone tell me going rates please £30m2 ceramic and porcelain or £205 day rate Starting at...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
I'm off level 1/8'' over 2' and 1/4'' over 4', from left to right in picture. Building recessed...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB