UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Is this price too cheap ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

prceramics

Priced up a job a couple of weeks ago the customer is doing up her inlaws bathroom.
The Walls
They are removing the bath and installing a shower, Work not being carried out by me the toilet and basin will be removed by the plumber and refitted after i leave. Basicly its only the tiling and the tanking i am doing, the walls are nice and flat and in a good state of repair (plaster skim) and there are no tiles to remove it is 19m2 with one large window.
The Floor
The floor is quite straight forward its 4m2 with no toilet or pedistal to go around only the shower tray, it is a concrete base costomer is to remove vinyl allready down.

i am also doing there kitchen floor, again concrete and to be done before kitchen fitted 10m2 price was based on tiling ceramic tiles under the 16kg weight limit for walls and ceramic tiles for the floors no fancy patterns just the normal tiling with no borders £835 including matterials.
I was quite happy with this price even though would proberly take best part of a week but quiet at the momment so just want to get out there, any way the costomer called me back yesterday asking why is it so cheap they have had four quotes and mine is the cheapest by a long long way didn't ask what they have been quoted but will when i start the job.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Although it sounds straight forward it's difficult to price a job without seeing it. There are tilers on here that have built up a fantastic reputation over many many years and will often win a job even if their quote is the highest. If you are new to tiling then you'll have to keep going for a long time to compete with them, you can't simply quote the same price and expect to win the job. What I would say is if you're happy with what you earn then great, if you can increase your price a bit and still get the job then even better

B

bugs183

You have to admite the customers honesty!
So maybe some trades have put a micky take price in???
So you've priced on £835.00. I'm from the Midlands, and this doesn't seem too cheap really (maybe i'm under pricing!!!!).
Another way to price a job is to ask yourself how long you think it will take.
Say 5 days, and how much ideally do you want to earn a day, lets say £130.
So already that job owes you £650.00.
Now if you are supplying materials, add up what you think this will cost, including your markup, 33 meters at say £150.00.
So the job would now owe you £800.00, So you are already you are within your price.
But also bear in mind milage, have
So as Peteblard says, if it goes well and you don't use up more adhesive then is this price good for you?
If not, then rejig the figures and get a price you are happy with.
It's probably too late now to go back to the customer and add some more though!
This is why i leave the job a day or two to think over, and take photo's of the job when you price, then you can sit at home and give a more realistic price. Never price on the day you look at the job!!

B

bugs183

Splashbacks, mosaics all that kinda fiddly stuff charge at day rate in my opinion.
I don't really charge for awkward cuts, and some charge for drilling holes in porcelain, i might be missing out on a few quid here!
If you want to speed up your socket cuts go to tradetiler and buy a Montolit Squadro wheel and a small angle grinder for it to work on. Absolutely brilliant little blade, cuts through porcelain like butter!
Decent tools are a really good way of speeding your work up as they do all the work for you.

P

prceramics

Splashbacks, mosaics all that kinda fiddly stuff charge at day rate in my opinion.
I don't really charge for awkward cuts, and some charge for drilling holes in porcelain, i might be missing out on a few quid here!
If you want to speed up your socket cuts go to tradetiler and buy a Montolit Squadro wheel and a small angle grinder for it to work on. Absolutely brilliant little blade, cuts through porcelain like butter!
Decent tools are a really good way of speeding your work up as they do all the work for you.

its not really cutting the sockets that takes time with me its trying to get the screws back in :mad2:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
don't you just hate it when they say its cheap,the amount of times i kick myself after.

gotta remember though,some people are just really expensive,just did a job and the other tiler said he charges £260 a day,it will take about 7 days + a £10 per hole cut.
it took me 8 days and i re boarded it in hardibacker which he was just going to tile over painted skim

M

Muse2k8

explain that your not vat registered thats why its cheaper. you could always say you forgot the materials, but you will stick to the original price, as its your mistake.

That's not a bad idea that. You then don't look cheap and you get to throw in a spot of customer service ;)

That way if you up your price for future jobs and they recommend you to someone they won't specify your too cheap ;)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Is this price too cheap ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views
Hi, Apologies, this is quite a long question... I am currently renovating my bathroom and soon...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
We've got as far as stripping out the bathroom in our new (to us) bungalow dug up floor, laid...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.