UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Is this sand/cement backing??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

thedman

Hi folks,

I've been planning my bathroom for about a month now, and feel quite prepared on what I need to do. I started today, taking the old tiles off the wall, they pulled off the plaster skim the were stuck to which I expected, but what is that the skim was stuck to. I've read that sand/cement is good to tile on to. I have a house built in 1976. Cavity walls, all the internal walls are concrete block. Is this sand/cement????

T

thedman

IMAG0545.jpg

Obviously that's skim on there too, just wanted to give some sort of reference....

Clues:

1. Its a bit dusty, but would hoover to not very dusty.
2. Its pretty much rock hard.

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

T

thedman

Thanks for all your replies. General opinion is s/c.

Here's two more pics,

one showing small stones:

View attachment 42339 yeah its blurry, but the stones are definitely stones...

and another showing the results of Phil's test, I scored it with the edge of a flat screwdriver:

View attachment 42340 Dunno how much that is worth.... as i applied enough force to scratch it. If it had been harder I would have applied more force so as to scratch it....

W

White Room

My preference would be a 4-1 so it soaks in to s/c to stabilize, if your going to use WP1 I would use some of the powdered adhesive to flatten out the old s/c with the flat part of your trowel.

where your going to use the tanking...just a really tight coat and leave to dry otherwise you will be using a lot of tanking material on the rough surface.

Prime with the manufacturers acrylic primer and then apply your tanking.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Is this sand/cement backing??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’ve decided to re tile my bathroom walls and floors due to the poor state they were in when...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.