Discuss Is this tiling as bad as I think? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hi All
I'm looking for some advice from the experts and hope you can help. I've just had a shower room built as part of an extension project. It hasn't been cheap, I haven't cut costs and the building firm - a small local company with a good reputation - have been good so far (building works rather than finishing). Tiling in the shower enclosure has just finished and while I'm no professional tiler, I've done a lot of DIY and am sure I could do a better job than they have. Hopefully the photos show up what I think are some obvious defects:
-poor cuts and chipped edges
-poor grouting
-uneven spacing
-poor mitring of the trim
You probably can't see the lippage on quite a few tiles. They're planning on using mastic on the corner which I think won't look good owing to the size of bead required to cover that grout and the chipped edges. The tiles are Cabana, by Claybrook, and weren't cheap. The tech spec is here https://www.claybrookstudio.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/pdf/Cabana_Technical_Sheet.pdf
I'm meeting with the builder in the week and have expressed my dissatisfaction but he's told me some tiles were longer than others so the alignment strays the further you go. Even if some tiles in the batch were longer, I'd expect these to be used for the cuts and longer tiles don't account for some of the layout errors. At the least, if they'd warned me in advance about differences in length (which I'm not sure is true as the product sheet looks to state very small tolerances in this respect), I could've made an informed decision on whether to progress. Please tell me if I'm being fussy as the only solution I can see is for the whole lot to be taken out, new tiles ordered, a proper tiler brought in to do the job and everything made good. Needless to say the builder isn't keen as it will all come out of his pocket. Any thoughts or advice much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG-20191124-WA0000.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG-20191124-WA0001.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG-20191124-WA0002.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG-20191124-WA0003.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG-20191124-WA0004.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG-20191124-WA0005.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG-20191124-WA0006.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG-20191124-WA0007.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG-20191124-WA0008.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG-20191124-WA0009.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG-20191124-WA0010.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG-20191124-WA0011.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
B

Bill

It isn't good at all especially the cutting and grouting.

Re the tiles being different sizes...this is a common fault with batch numbers (tiles made on different days etc) and it can indeed make the job look awful for the type of layout you have chosen - even .5mm difference will show on a project like this.

Villeroy & Bosch used to sell tiles like this in the late 70's early eighties and were bang on for size but you had to take care when tiling as most jobs were set out like yours is and the vertical plane has to be spot on. This type of tiling can't be rushed.

I hope your builder will agree with us that it is poorly done.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Is this tiling as bad as I think? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 45m2 of 1.2 x 1.2 Mirage 9mm floor tiles to lay. Never done this size before. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi there Homeowner here who recently had my kitchen tiled by a professional tiler. We’ve been...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB