Discuss Is travertine really OK for showers?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

flemdog

Hello!

Sorry if this is repeating ground already covered.

I really like the look of travertine and want to use it in my shower, however it seems madness to put a porous tile on a shower wall!

I understand that with the use of sealers etc they can be waterproofed, but is this not a pill for the headache?

Is anyone actually living with travertine in their shower?
Would you recommend it?

Is there a better natural stone for wet areas?

I am redoing my en-suite and have fitted Aquaboard in the shower area, a shower tray with upstands and am ready to buy the tiles, but cant decide!

I am seriously paranoid about the shower leaking.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

E

enduro

Also if you live in a hard water area you may want to get your plumber to fit a water softner to you water system. As after a time limescale from your hard water will react with the travertine makiing it hard to clean. Do try and get good quality travertine with as little filler as possible, and once installed do not use a topical sealer as the stone needs to breathe, so use an impregnating sealer. Clean with a Natural stone cleaner only and wipe the tiles down with a cloth and leave the door ajar after showering to let the tiles dry.

F

flemdog

Thanks to all. I have to say I am very pleasantly surprised how helpful you guys are.

I will follow the advice and tank as an extra precaution.

I have one last question. I believe the convention is to fit the shower frame on the outside of the tiles, however as the travertine is porous, is there not a leak path?

If instead you attached the frame to the tanked substrate, in this case Aquaqpanel, would it not be better?

Is there something I am missing?

Many thanks again!

Reply to Is travertine really OK for showers?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
The shower pan on my all tile 70 year old shower started to leak. I have access the the...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon all. I am a keen DIYer (at home) but have never tiled! I want to tile our small...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm faced with a bit of a conundrum regarding the state of our shower recess, as well...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Is travertine really OK for showers??
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.