Discuss Is work slow in the UK like it is here in USA? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Yeah we've not had it brilliant all over like pre-2008 when the markets crashed because of the bankers. Lots of redundancies still going on which means more tradesmen to compete with AND less customers to between them. However it's not affected all areas, and some areas have improved, but some still are yet to. Or so it seems.

Other trades are the same too, we run a few trade forums and they all have examples of work slowing down in different parts of the country, unfortunately. Electricians seem to be one of the least affected trades in the UK due to the big push in renewable energy and solar related stuff. I'm not a sparky though so I might be missing something but from reading those guys seem at least able to move with the times.

As Dave says, getting a good contact with the suppliers pays dividends over here. If they can send you work and you send them your customers it seems to be easier to get by.

We have migration issues but as we're in the EU now, it's free reign for the people from the poorer countries to come here and get work. It can work well for the factories etc as it's been proven that they don't take days off, will work for far less pay, are hard workers etc - Whereas although we have loads of people that fit all those things, we need a better wage than them and even factory workers are taking a hit in wage to keep their jobs etc

Swings and roundabouts though. If you work in the repossessing game in these times you're laughing I guess. haha

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Is work slow in the UK like it is here in USA? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
  • Article
I can personally recommend UK Pro Tiling. Darren is a great tutor, the aftercare is great and it...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, been a keen reader of the forum for a few weeks now. Getting ready for a DIY bathroom...
Replies
Views
Hello! I am new here but I have been reading a lot about manual tile cutters on the forum. I am...
Replies
Views
L

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Is work slow in the UK like it is here in USA?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.