UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Issues with Weber.Set Rapid SPF in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JohnnyT

I've had major issues with Weber.set Rapid SPF on a series of jobs that were installed from December 2009 through to February 2010 that only started showing up 6-12 months after installation.
I have already started to collect some info from other people who have had the same issue and would like to know if anyone on here has had similar issues
Upon inspection we have found that the floor adhesive has debonded from the floor tiles.
In all cases the common denominator appears to be an adhesive failure as
-the plywood and sub floor (12mm Ply screwed and glued c/w expansion gaps) is sound
-the floors have been laid be three different tilers employed by ourselves
-some floors have had UTH and some floors have not
-it has happened with different tile ranges
As would be expected the manufacturer are blaming everything and everyone apart from the adhesive and assure me that they have had no other issues other than the one experienced by myself.
Can anyone tell me if they've had the same issues?
I'd appreciate the help as you would not believe the costs that have been incurred in rectifying these issues!

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
i had this issue about 7 months ago with it,done 4 bathroosm with it.

the entire floor de bonded as well luckily i managed to save the tiles
the adhesive was poor and crumbly when i checked it on the wall on another job so i changed addy.

contacted the supplier not weber...who had a supposed blazing argument with the weber rep and iw as reimbursed with another make off addy and also more cement boards due to wastage

not sure if it was a bad batch but i dont want to re try it again so in answer to your question yes they have been made aware of it.

pm me if you like i will give you my company details and where the complaint was made

G

Gazzer

From the Weber Bible.
Fix the over-boarding
For small floors with no noticeable deflection 9mm WBP plywood can be
used for over-boarding. If there is some limited deflection, a minimum of
15mm WBP plywood or equivalent tile backer board should be used. Prime the
back and edges of plywood with weber PR360. Lay the boards so that the
joints do not coincide with the joints in the existing timber and leave slight
gaps between boards and at the perimeter for expansion. Screw the plywood
or tile backer board to the floorboards every 200 - 300mm. Fill the gaps
between boards and the perimeter with weber SL450 silicone sealant. If there
is still noticeable movement in the floor, another layer of plywood or tile
backer board may be needed.

D

DHTiling

Really? I stand corrected

From the adhesives pdf...

Tongued and grooved timber and chipboard
must be over-boarded. Existing boards
should be screwed down to joists with 2
screws at each end and another 2 wherever
they cross joists/noggins. For small floors
with no noticeable deflection 9 mm
plywood
or suitable tile backer board can be
used to provide a smooth surface to tile. If
there is some limited deflection, a minimum
of 15 mm WBP plywood
or equivalent tile
backer board should be used to increase the
rigidity of the floor. If

So there you go weber say 9mm..

J

j long

I`ve been tiling for 17 years using various adhesives from bal to mapei to granfix and never had a problem. i was then introduced to weber as a superior product. thats where it all went wrong. after experiencing a major debonding of floor tiles in my own home, using weber rapid set plus with ad 250 polymer onto a wooden sub floor with under floor heating "that has never been turned on". the floor started to de bond. the area sales manager made a site visit and described the installation as being carried out with "belt and braces". this still has`nt helped matters. the floor is made up from 22mm soft wood floor boards over laid with 9 mm wpb ply, fixed down at 150mm centres. with no noticable deflection at all. i`ve had everything blamed apart from the gravitational pull of the moon for this problem. the previous floor that was laid, i pressume many years ago didnt have so much as a hair line crack to the grout joints. and yet excessive movement was blamed for it. then the fact that you can see trowel marks in 2 small areas in the adhesive was also blamed. although the tile still had full contact. it was then sudgested that i had used a spf adhesive along with the polymer, as the test results had shown such high polymer readings. this wasnt the case. had i used the levels of polymer that weber are sudgesting the adhesive would of been more like liquid and un workable. so if your looking advice on using weber. DONT. in my opinion, with my experience i consider their product to be as good as their after sales care. as it appears theres no issues at all with the weber product.

Reply to Issues with Weber.Set Rapid SPF in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.