UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Issues with Weber.Set Rapid SPF in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

GettinLaid

Hi guys

I’ve followed up this post with Weber directly and sadly I have the following news: DO NOT USE WEBER PRODUCTS. ESPECIALLY THIS ADHESIVE. They do not seem particularly confident in their product – not to the point that they are 100% sure it will not fail. I’ll explain - below is my email convo with Weber (blue is me and green is Weber):

Let’s see how confident you are in your products shall we :)

I was just about to buy 25 bags of your adhesive, rapid SPF, grey. Until I noticed this forum, where a few other professional tilers have had issues with it:
(went on to quote complaints from this post)

Let me be clear on this: I am a professional tiler with 18 years experience in the trade, and I’ve taken every precaution to prepare the surface well beyond standard. Belt n braces if you like. I’ll be laying porcelain tiles (exterior) onto SBR as well as fibre modified screed which has been mixed in a ratio of 1.5 parts sharp sand to 1 part Portland. This screed has been sealed and primed with 1 part SBR to 2 parts Portland, then self-levelled (again with SBR and fibre modified self leveling compound). And it will be primed again with SBR-cement primer, just before tiling. In short: there is no way at all that anything in this system can fail. It’s hard as a rock and 100% watertight.

Now, considering that I’m about to lay 100m[SUP]2[/SUP] of eye wateringly expensive tiles for my client: before even considering using your product, I need you to guarantee me that this adhesive will not fail at any point. If the tiles pop off the adhesive or the adhesive debonds from the primed self leveling at any point, will you be prepared to redo the job, or 100% financially compensate for the job having to be redone?

Depending on the size of the tiles and the fixing method the weber.set rapid SPF is suitable for the application you have mentioned. A solid bed method of fixing is required for all flooring and external applications. If the adhesive is applied to our instructions on the data sheet we are happy to guarantee the product for 10 years.

You didn’t answer my question. Ok so you guarantee your product for 10 years, but thats just your product. And if in 2 years it all breaks up, the last thing I’ll need is another stack of inferior adhesive or a refund for the measly portion of the job total that the adhesive cost - what I need is you guys to redo the job. Completely. Including all materials. Are you that confident in your product that you’d be prepared to guarantee it to this point, in writing?

And there’s more too. I can keep quoting problems which others have experienced with your product and after sales service for some time if I need to. But I don’t think that I need to go there. A lot of people have been having serious problems with your product, and although you say you guarantee for 10 years, this is far from the after sales service that these people have experienced. I can do without the incompetency and any-excuse blame game you guys seem to play when it all goes wrong. And I can also make sure that all other tillers using the internet know what’s really going on and avoid the same situation.

If it is proved to be a material failure then we are happy to cover the cost of the materials.

What EXACTLY do you mean by materials? The adhesive alone? So I’ll still be stuck with a massive cost and undertaking in redoing the whole job on account of your product failure, should this happen? You have to be kidding me.

We would guarantee our products, they are very high quality and manufactured to rigorous testing. if the product is causing you concern before using it, it may be worth looking elsewhere for a solution.

Already done. Mapei does guarantee to replace the entire job should their product fail. And I know how to read between the lines. You’re not particularly confident in your product. If it was good enough for the job you’d have no trouble at all guaranteeing to redo the job since, as you say, this will never need to happen. Good to know, as I’m sure the other tilers will agree.

‘Nuff said.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Issues with Weber.Set Rapid SPF in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.