UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss It must be monday.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

stusgsx

Turned up to this job this morning. Customer has "tanked" the room with N&C wet room kit but the membrane has not been stuck to the floor at all and then it has had warmup boards stuck on top badly and big bits missing and look at the overlapping wires. Nice! Told them its got to come up.

Attachments

• image-3451115966.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 121
  • image-2637721820.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 110

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
They should have read my UFH step by step installation guide!

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone

They should Bri, it clearly states, 'MAKE SURE YOU OVERLAP WIRES AT REGULAR INTERVALS' so as to cause maximum damage and ultimate failure of UFH. Doesn't it say that on every install manual :mad2:

S

stusgsx

OK little update!
Apparently the sparky came round last night and said there is nothing he can do about the wires overlapping and that it will be fine!

The membrane has been taken up in the shower area and stuck down but it's probably not waterproof now.
The rest of the floor has been left unstuck oh except for I now have a section of 12.5 pb put in the gap where there was no warmup board!

I've told them I'm not guaranteeing any of the floor and they said that's fine.

Am I doing the right thing or should I refuse to do it?

Attachments

• image-1633177102.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 54
  • image-2713214638.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 56
S

stusgsx

No not been paid and no cant say I do trust them.

Even the warmup boards are lifting from the membrane now. Has anyone used this N&C stuff before?

Here is a pic of the shower area now lol!

I'm going to refuse to touch the floor. I've got plenty of other work I can be getting on with this week. Now will they get upset or will they understand....

Attachments

• image-2640092331.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 109
R

ruairi mac

Hi Stusgsx,

Mate I would give them one last chance to put the thing right, Explain to them as clear as day that the only thing that you can guarantee with this floor is that it will fail. Explain why it will fail and how it will fail. If you can, show them the installation guide of the matt where it says Do Not Overlap Wires!! Tell them that companies produce these guides so that their products will work properly.
If you now reckon that the area isn't waterproof, explain the possible outcomes of a leaking wet room to them and what would be involved to put it right. I'd also ask them how much they spent on tanking kit, warm up boards and UFH, when they tell you how much, tell them they may as well had thrown the cash in the fire because none of it is going to work for them.
Its ok saying that you will finish the walls and ask them to sort the floor themselves but if you're not 100% sure about these people I would be concerned. If did you finish walls and not do the floor, are they going to be happy enough to pay you just for the walls and let you pack up or will they turn around and say, yes you have done the walls but you agreed to do the floor before the job started and we're not giving you a penny until the floors done??
I don't like being negative about customers because 99% of them are great but it only takes one to start telling people that my tiler came and started the job and wouldn't finish it etc. At the end of the day you have to look out for your reputation, my dad always told me, You cant buy a reputation, it has to be earned. And in my opinion its too hard earned to have someone run yours down when its them that are in the wrong!!
Do your best to talk some sense into them and I hope you get it sorted mate. keep us posted.

S

stusgsx

I had a good talk to the bloke earlier and explained that the floor will 100% fail because of the membrane not being stuck down at all and not has cuts all over the place so will also not be waterproof. Plus the ufh will fail anyway.
He seemed to take it all in and was with me that it's all a big mess and that he will speak with his mother the owner of the house.
Now he has just come in and said they are going to take up the membrane in the shower area and just use the liquid waterproofing on that part of the floor!
Then I said what about the rest of the floor and he said he thinks it will be ok as the tiles are heavy!
I said no they won't be ok and they will crack all over the place and he just shrugged it off!
Think the best option is to Pack everything up and call the owner tonight and see if I can drum it into her.

S

stusgsx

Got this email today from customer.
I give up!

"I have checked out you concerns with the Co I purchased the tanking from they
have confirmed the following and sent Data sheets to confirm

Red membrane sheet is coated and therefore should not be stuck down with adhesive
but laid loose and edges sealed with tanking paint.

Also the thermal board under the heating cannot be placed under the WC it needs a firmer
board due to the weight of the wc which would crush the standard thermal board.

Th electrician has been out to the flooring and assured me that the mat will not burn out

Obviously the above goes against all the concerns you raised, I want the tiling to go ahead on the floor
and take full responsibility therefore should the floor fail and the resonsibility will remain with me."

Reply to It must be monday.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi All First post long storey short had arranged for someone to re model my bathroom on the...
Replies
Views
Hi Ive been browsing your forums over the years looking for guidance for odd tiling DIY tasks...
Replies
Views
I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views
Good evening to all. I’m here this evening looking for some advice if you would be so kind...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.