Discuss I've read so much I'm now confused and need some simple advice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

JimboD

I'm retiling a bathroom floor as a result of a small extension that has enlarged the room from 2m x 2m to 4m x 2m. The previous floor was chipboard and tiled using Unibond flex. adhesive by my good self. It was down for 7 years with no cracks. In fact it was bonded so well and was such a pain to remove that I ended up using a circular saw and cutting through the tile, adhesive and chipboard in one go (being careful not to go any deeper) and ripping the floor up in chunks.
The builder has subsequently installed chipboard throughout, which I now know is a less than ideal tiling surface (my fault as I wasn’t aware it was a big no go – especially after the fun I had getting the old tiles off!)
On the upside there is very little if any bounce in the floor due to the narrow span (2m) but there is the join between the old and new part of house to worry about – floor is flat but might move over time.
The room was previously always cold so wouldn’t have had a huge temperate related expansion cycle to cope with but now I plan to install heat mats which will change this factor a lot.
So, my question is what is my best option – with the goal of keeping the overall depth to a minimum as I dont want a big step up to the hall? (i.e. the common answer of “just screw some 18mm ply on top” isn’t a good one for me)
So far it appears my best bet is to fix the heat map to the chipboard and submerse it in a self leveling compound, followed by attaching a Ditra mat layer with a suitable adhesive and then tiling onto that again using a suitable adhesive.
Other paranoid option would be rip out all the floor and replace with 22mm marine ply, then as above. Possibly adding insulation board to reflect heat upwards before heat mat goes down.
Other option would be to fix 6mm backiboard to chipboard and then sit heat mat on that.
Other quick/cheap option would be to stick heat mat to floor, and then tile directly on top of that using thickish layer of suitable flexi adhesive. And cross fingers.
The new porcelain tiles are long and thin (like planks) and so might be more susceptible to cracking compared to the prev. 600x600 ones.

Any guidance appreciated
Cheers
Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JimboD

Thanks chaps! That makes sense to me!
I appreciate the fast turnaround :lol:

I've a several 20kg bags of Mapei Super Flexible Adhesive spare. Would that be a good choice for fixing the backerboard to the chipboard and the tiles to the slc?

Also any recommendations on the best board to use? there seems to be some variation in board choices for insulation vs boards for waterproofing/general backing. Is Hardibacker board a good option for both purpses?

and finally... any pref on SLC or are they all pretty much the same?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
go for 6mm or 10 mm insulation boards there's plenty to choose from, just to let you know insulation boards will add very little if none at all help with any deflection, so make sure its solid, stick them down with flexible adhesive and screw them as well using the washers to stop the screws going through the boards....belt and braces..

how bigs the floor..? on small floor I tend to just tile over the ufh with out slc using a plastic trowel, however its your choice either way is fine just make sure you use good flexible products..:thumbsup:

J

JimboD

Thanks all. Looks like....

a) insulation board is the better bet (floor has lno percievable deflection based on my crude bounce test and 7 years of no prior cracks wit hold tiles so doesnt need reinforcing)

b) The Mapei Super Flex adhesive I've got will do the job but is not ideal (NB I can take it back if needed as was bought from B&Q only recently)

c) SLC over the heat mat is optional providing I'm careful when tiling (fill all voids to avoid hotspots and use plastic trowel)

Cheers
Jim

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to I've read so much I'm now confused and need some simple advice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi - I ripped up laminate flooring on a concrete subfloor. It was my first DIY project and...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB