Discuss job lost! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

If he can whisper his number to you r customer perhaps he is doing it to the tile shops other customers too. He could potentially be losing them fixing work too. As for the van being uninsured when on a job other than for the tile shop? I doubt that very much, if the vehicle is insured for him to drive and he has it for eveing and weekend use then its just the moral issue of him using it for 'other' work.

I suspect the insurance wording would be along the lines of "Use by employees during the conduct of the employer's business" or words to that effect. Tiling jobs on the side is NOT conducting his employer's business. If he gets to drive it home each night, that may be because he does deliveries on his way home, which would probably be deemed sensible by the insurers.

Even if it were his 'company car' which I very much doubt, then I suspect he wouldn't be allowed to use it for profit or gain. In any case find me an employer who will gladly allow his capital equipent to be used, costing him money, so that his employee can make a few quid on the side.

Last time I worked for someone else, one of our perks was that we could arrange to use the company van fo personal use. We had to ask the HR Director to sign a form and that went to our fleet manager who then gave you the keys. I used it a couple of times to clear rubbish. This got stopped shortly before I left as the insurers wouldn't wear it any more. On no account could we use it for profit or gain in our own right.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cornish_crofter

like i said guys, i'll bite my tongue this time and who knows, maybe the customers will have reason to complain to the tile shop then justice may be done! :thumbsup:

Hopefully you'll have the last laugh ;)

Since you are where you are, you could always call by and explain to the customer that you can be on hand to call round in the evening if the job isn't going to their satisfaction.

And leave a handy inspection check list with them so they understand exactly how to assess the quality of the job as it progresses, then wish them luck and hope they'll consider you for the next job.

They'll see that you're not bitter, and that you know your trade. Then cash in hand flyboy will be under intense scruiteny all the time when he's there. :LOL:

Yes, I do enjoy retribution.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to job lost! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, We have to lift a section of floor in the kitchen and would like to replace with the...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Hey there Firstly thanks in advance for any replies or comments. I've got a tiler in atm who...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
L
I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
job lost!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.