UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Jura limestone appears to be rusting over time in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mreeves

Hi there,

Hopefully there will be a few experts on here that can help with this very concerning problem. My builder has laid about 100 sqm of Jura Blue-Grey limestone on the ground floor of my new house. This was laid about 2 months ago. It was sealed with a single coat of Lithofin Stain-Stop. We are now finding more and more tiles are starting get marks that look like rust which really does not look pleasant. Here is a photo.

The spec was as follows: Natural stone tiling; JuraLimestone; colour - Blue-Grey; honed finish; 300 xrandom lengths of 600 to 1200 (40% between 900 to1200); 15 thick; 3 wide joints; on and includingJohnsons Permalayer intermediate layer; fixing withBAL-PTB flexible adhesive; grouting with MapeiKeracolour FF, ref. 112, colour - medium grey; to screedbase;

Is this to be expected? My architect has used the same stone from the same quarry on a number of other houses and has never seen it before. Could it be caused by the tiles getting sealed when they were not bone dry?

Any ideas on what has caused this, and more importantly what I can do about it, would be very gratefully received.

Best regards
Martin

M

mreeves

All of the photos provided are of the ground floor floor tiles which are honed. In the bathrooms we used sandblasted and brushed Jura blue-grey again 15mm thick. Out of 5 bathrooms I can only see 1 tile that has the same sort of rust effect which is a wall tile. The bathroom wall tiles are on a tile backer board but I do not know what specific type.

This is house that is very near completion so it has not been lived in.

T

Topshop

How high is the humidity level in the house? Has the heat in the home been turned on? It appears to be iron in the stone rusting from moisture. It may be possible that the stone had not dried out enough before applying sealer. Some of the rust may be removed with Iron Out but as long as the home is humid it will return unless well sealed with a good penetrating sealer but after the surface rust is removed and the stone has dried out well.

M

mreeves

How high is the humidity level in the house? Has the heat in the home been turned on? It appears to be iron in the stone rusting from moisture. It may be possible that the stone had not dried out enough before applying sealer. Some of the rust may be removed with Iron Out but as long as the home is humid it will return unless well sealed with a good penetrating sealer but after the surface rust is removed and the stone has dried out well.

Not sure about the humidity level in the house to be honest. Underfloor heating was on for a long period before tiling and has I believe been on at times since.

M

mreeves

Picture 149 and 150 from the start

Now i'm with you - you've looked at other photos in my flickr photo stream and spotted something else that is not right unconnected with the rust issue. Those pictures were taken a good 6 weeks before the bathrooms were tiled so I can't be sure they did not remedy that prior to tiling. Nethertheless I will mention it to my architect - thanks.

Reply to Jura limestone appears to be rusting over time in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, just after a bit of advice. I've just had some 15mm limestone tiles fitted in my...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
O
Hi, Limestone tile floor installed at the beginning of December 17. The floor wasn't sealed as...
Replies
Views
B
D
Hello all, A friend of mine has a wet room tiled with grey limestone and is having a problem...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
S
I am a customer not a tiler! My architect wants to lay limestone tiles directly on to the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.