UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Jura limestone appears to be rusting over time in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Could easily be rust. jurassic limestone is often accompanied by iron oolite (oolitic limestone) which is yonger. If your limestone come from the top part of the limestone layer it could contain varying degrees of iron content which will over a period oxidise forming "rust" spots. It does depend n whereit came from and the local geologyat the source.

M

mreeves

Picture 18 has tiling on the wall and a section of exposed marmox with no washers on the screws if they did not use the washers the boards will not hold the stone to the wall so you will need to make absolutely sure this was done IMO they should be glued and screwed with washers.

It would not surprise me one bit if the problem you have raised is prevalent throughout the bathrooms but that exposed section is not tiled - there is piece of back painted glass on there now. Can't seem to find any photos of half tiled walls at the moment.

M

Mike Mike

Deano, your nickname is going to have to be Hawkeye from now on.

I can't see the word Marmox on those boards by the way...

Out of interest, you use Marmox a lot, do you not ever just affix it to the wall with flexible adhesive, do you always screw it as well? Secondly, do you tank it in wet areas, and if so, what with (I'm especially curious about how you go over the screws and those GIGANTIC washers).

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I agree its in the stone but there are more of these rusty spots appearing over time so keen to do something if possible to stop it happening further.
Im not sure there is anythingo be doe. Oxidation is a natural process.

D

DHTiling

Does the sealer not prevent it from "breathing".

Also if everything underneath is dry and the stone is dry why does it need to breathe.......

Just a little confused over this breathing lark cos modern buildings are simply not designed to do so.

If any moisture does come through a substrate , then if you use a topical sealer this can trap that said moisture in... when a substrate heats up and cools with room humidity or thermal heat, then as it heats and cools it can expel small amounts of moisture... Impregnators allows the stone to breath.. not literally breath lol but to allow passage of moisture from behind if required..

The best way to describe what i mean by air moisture etc,, say you left a pot of salt on the bench/table etc then it will get wet from air moisture..
So air moisture is always present ...

Not saying topical sealers cannot be used but in areas of wetting then deffo a bad idea..

T

Topshop

Thanks for the explaination Dave.

I agree with you Tony. But, the term "coat" needs to be used carefully. Sealers should not be coating anything - they should be in the stone (penetrating) for best results - if they coat they are sitting on top and have been over applied. Any excess should be buffed off because it can adversely effect the stone too. The term "application" should be used. If footprints show or the stone is sticky the sealer has been over applied.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Jura limestone appears to be rusting over time in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, just after a bit of advice. I've just had some 15mm limestone tiles fitted in my...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
O
Hi, Limestone tile floor installed at the beginning of December 17. The floor wasn't sealed as...
Replies
Views
B
D
Hello all, A friend of mine has a wet room tiled with grey limestone and is having a problem...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
S
I am a customer not a tiler! My architect wants to lay limestone tiles directly on to the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.