Discuss just out of interest ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

Does anyone know the correct procedure when a contract has finished, ? so you finish a job and put in the invoice ,the contractor refuses to pay as there are a few issues he wants sorting ,you have a meeting on site where he-points out physically what he wants doing ,then you agree to the changes and say work the weekend to change things, but you cant get him or his client to sign the changes off as they are not on site, so you go away not knowing if he is happy ,but you are expecting him to call you back again if he is not happy,
But instead he gets another contractor to do the changes again, without you knowing and counter-charges you more than your final bill, ( it's one of the oldest strokes in the book ) how legal is this action ?.

i would have thought there should have been a snag-list, and you work through it until everyone is happy and you get -payed ? :thumbsup:

Usually thats what retentions are for as I understand it.

You work through a snag list until complete then try and get the rest of your money , hopefully.

Trouble is Co.s ( particularly large ones ) use retentions as a way of cutting your original quote imho or as a means to make money by holding onto yours . IE Payables 90 days - recievables 30 days.

I think he is supposed to give you the opportunity to put any work right first and then also inform you if he is getting someone else to do it.

Not sure though , but good luck.

A site I was on recently, the large Co. basically retained what profit the contractor that i had worked for had made , until the snagging was done.

Diggy

C

Concrete guy

What is the total value of the original invoice for work?

I believe the following (get it checked).

He has to give you reasonable opportunity to put right any snagging.

He cannot arbitrarily contract the work out elsewhere and bill you for the result with giving you a reasonable chance to rectify.

If the total amount is under £5000 I'd be issuing small claims court proceedings with immediate effect if negotiations have broken down.

If you go the small claims route list the events in a diary form and stick to fact, do not include conjecture or hearsay.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
i had this happen to me last year, finished a bathroom for a plumber in a big mansion house that was being refurbished, he refused to pay me saying there was problems with the work i did and they had got someone eles into fix it, they never even gave me the chance to look at the snaging or put it right, they said the client didn't want me back on site because i was grumpy..lol

it is one of those sites with lots of trades working in one place, i just like to get my head down and graft, im not really into standing around talking all day to a painter who knows everything, so this is why i came accross as grumpy, plus apparently i didn't thank a painter when he held the door open for me..lol

pointed out to the plumber that a judge wouldn't see that as grounds for being banned from site, and as i had not been given a chance to see the snagging or put it right they cough up or take them to court, got paid in full in the end, and im sure to this day they were just trying it on..

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to just out of interest ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We had our kitchen tiled last week and we're not at all happy with the work. The tiles aren't...
Replies
Views
I'm currently dealing with the contractor from hell who has ruined job after job in my house...
Replies
Views
Sorry for asking a question that I already think i know the answer to but I just need...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB