Discuss Just Starting Out - Styling 'n' Tyling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

ch4rlie

Hi there 2 1 and all fellow tilers

I recently completed a 5 day intensive tiling course at the Yorkshire Tiling Academy which I have to say was thoroughly enjoyable. Jonathan and Graham who ran the course are very hands on all the time and are their to answer all your questions and help, when help is required.

The Academy also has the benefit of it own shop so if you need anything to start up or add to your tools, its always at hand as the lads , who are just as keen to help you sort out anything you need with any jobs you have taken on, (as long as you buy your stuff from them) :wink_smile:

Dont know what you lads think about Tile Cutters but i went against the grain of buying a Rubi and treat myself to a Husqvana TC470 which I have found neat, presice, easy to use and within budget of anyone starting up whi is prepared to pay a bit more than that for a basic Rubi 50 which is what i learnt with.

Since the Academy I have managed to get 1 job which turned out from just tiling a wall to then a further 2 walls plus round a cased bath and then the floor which is due to finish this weekend.

Found the estimating the hardest thing as i gave the guy a price for the whole job which was 4 days but think in all this has moved to 6 days with things just kept getting added on like trips to the DIY store for him, cleaning up walls before starting to tile, having to retile small areas where the guy had had a go himself b4 leaving it to the experts. Havent warned him about the extra costs as i have been doing it on a night time and weekends. Plus the tiles have been a nightmare as they but up staright against each other and not all have straight edges. So we will see what he says when i give him the final bill.

Will probably make a slight loss on this one :icon8: but have enjoyed the experience learnt a lot from it and will be more careful to tell the customer up front if things they want you to do will bump up the price. I'm also hoping that now i have done this my name will get passed on. Luckily i have a day job as well which is my bread and butter till i can get a regular income coming in from Tiling

Any tips from you experts on how you have gone about advertising yourself would be appreciated as have just had business cards printed at the mo which i have delivered house to house and stuck them anywhere i can

Reply to Just Starting Out - Styling 'n' Tyling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi I am thinking of training to gain city and guilds on weekends I’m just wondering is there...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Just Starting Out - Styling 'n' Tyling
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.