Discuss Kitchen, Dining room Floor. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

alex blake

Re: Kitchen, Diningroom Floor.

Of course it can be tiled....How much do you want to spend on the prep work, what tiles are you looking at, can you live with an expansion joint where the 2 substrates meet?
My plan for preping was 12mm ply onto existing chipboard floor, screwed every 150mm, then with a 12mm screed onto the existing concrete bringing it upto ply wood level. If you're recommending a expansion joint thats good enough for me. The tiles are going to be polished porcelain. Does that sound ok? Thanks Alex.

D

Daz

Re: Kitchen, Diningroom Floor.

What condition is the chipboard in? Is there any deflection (bounce)?

Your suggestion seems fine, just remember to continue an expansion joint from where the 2 substrates meet directly up through the tiling.

Here's a couple of other suggestions for you to consider....
1. Why not replace the chipboard with 18 / 22mm wbp plywood? This will give you the opportunity to add extra noggins to the floor and maintain the same floor height as the existing screed.
2. If there is no deflection in the chipboard floor, you could glue and screw 6mm cement boards to the chipboards. This means that you will have a stable and tileable substrate and will only use half as much slc to bring the screed height level.

Whichever option you choose to go with, you will have to incorporate an expansion joint so that will be your main restriction, IMO.

Good luck,

Daz

P

Perfect Tiling

I could be totally wrong here but if the chipboard part of the floor is deflection free and overlayed with 6mm hardibacker, then the concrete side is brought up to level with slc, can a decoupling mat be used over the whole area which will bridge any crack that may appear underneath it. I have used the Genisis GMAT on floors with good sized cracks in them as this is its purpose.

G

grumpygrouter

I could be totally wrong here but if the chipboard part of the floor is deflection free and overlayed with 6mm hardibacker, then the concrete side is brought up to level with slc, can a decoupling mat be used over the whole area which will bridge any crack that may appear underneath it. I have used the Genisis GMAT on floors with good sized cracks in them as this is its purpose.
I thnk the definition of deflection free is relevant here. A timber floor will NEVER be as solid as a screed floor in my opinion, and a decoupling membrane would probably not be the answer. Not only that, as the timber is a "living" breathing product, it may well swell slightly as well as increase/decrease in length due to moisture/heat variations.
I think you will probably find that the membrane data sheets also specify that expansion joints should be carried through the membranes also.

Reply to Kitchen, Dining room Floor. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Kitchen, Dining room Floor.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.