UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Kitchen Granite Floor Advice Needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

baly

I'm currently in the process of planning this kitchen floor of mine, the wife wants Granite and personally i'm loving the star galaxy but we have yet to decide.

The kitchen substrate is Concrete and plenty of it as its a mass filled slab at the back of the house. The concrete over the years had vinyl which has been taken up revealing a few minor issues where the old chimney used to be in the kitchen which i will repair using concrete.

Now the bit i am not sure about as i have never layed granite and i have never layed underfloor heating and i prefer to do things the right way>>>

1. The insulation 10mm - This needs to be layed down ontop of adhesive? if so which type?
2. Underfloor heating mat 200w/m2 - total 5m2 - Should i apply adhesive ontop of the UFH mat once i am happy with its position? or should i just move to the SLC ?
3. What type of SLC should i use? anything in particular?
4. What adhesive should be used for natural granite ? the tiles will be 10mm
5. Have any of you any pictures of a granite floor done in 610mm x 305mm tiles? (as we cannot decide between the 305 x 305 or 610 x 305).
6. Could you please tell me what a typical build up of the floor would be with all of the above? ie approx FFL as this will assist in alignment of other bits in the kitchen.

Oh and btw i do like the MAPEI stuff

Any other tips links which you guys/girls have please let me have them. Thank you in advance.

PS - i'll then be moving onto the bathroom after i complete this. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
B

baly

Thats brilliant, i had been working to a 45mm build up to FFL. So will adjust my calcs to be closer to this and shall allow 30mm with the 10mm insulation i plan on using.

If you dont mind me asking, what UFH did you use? and what is the typical warm up time to 20 deg c? & what wattage?

Sorry for all the questions but i'm one of those planning guys who likes to know whats what and the expected end result.

Thanks once again

I

Ian

Thats brilliant, i had been working to a 45mm build up to FFL. So will adjust my calcs to be closer to this and shall allow 30mm with the 10mm insulation i plan on using.

If you dont mind me asking, what UFH did you use? and what is the typical warm up time to 20 deg c? & what wattage?

Sorry for all the questions but i'm one of those planning guys who likes to know whats what and the expected end result.

Thanks once again

The one in the thread is warmup and its the 150/160w version. Takes about 30 mins to get to 20 degs

G

grumpygrouter

Thanks GG now only if someone had the 610 x 305 for comparison.

Any tips for laying the granite tiles GG? i have tiled a few bathrooms and kitchens in the past but never granite.
Granite will need to be wet cut and is heavy so it can be very hard work but apart from the normal stuff like having a flat floor and a good quality adhesive they aren't much different from laying ceramic. They will require sealing though before you grout to stop the grout clogging the microscopic pores the polishing process opens up. I laid my floor on top of Ditra matting as the floor was heated.

M

Mike

Thanks GG now only if someone had the 610 x 305 for comparison.

Any tips for laying the granite tiles GG? i have tiled a few bathrooms and kitchens in the past but never granite.
i did a kitchen and hallway in the 610 x 305 star galaxy a couple of years ago. really nice stuff to use, i did them brick bond but sorry i got no pictures. i know the guy well but he's working in dubai now so no chance of me getting any. he got them from here Home - Granite kitchen worktops,cheap UK London,granite tiles traders uk,granite tiles,granite worktops traders london,premiumgranite kitchen Norbury,Granite

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Kitchen Granite Floor Advice Needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.