Discuss kitchen tile re-grouting - how long? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Hi
Do you know how long it takes to re-grout tiles? In my kitchen spread over 3 walls I have 462 tiles of size 9.5cm x 9.5cm (a big kitchen (approx 4m x 4m ) only partially tiled whilst the rest of wall is made of kitchen units or painted wall)
I think once the old grout is removed it should take very little time to re-grout. How long does the old grout take to remove. If employing someone to do the job would it be cheaper to just replace the old tiles? (simple white tiles?). Using a grout rake, I would expect it to take 3 days (by a professional) to complete the job? am I wrong in my judgement? are there better tools to complete the job faster and more efficiently?
thank you for any advise
akthar

D

Deleted member 9966

Hi Dave thanks for your reply.
Reading other similar threads, i see that re-grouting is not something that the professionals are too keen to be doing. But would you or anyone advise me on how long it could take given the measures as above?
tiles size: 9.5cm x 9.5cm - 462 tiles --> approximate area: 4.1 sqm

hi there

nobody can advise how long it will take, because nobody knows how long it would take. what the professionals do know that it is far quicker to either
(a) knock all the existing tiles off and start again with brand new tiles
(b) change the colour of the grout using a grout colorant, rather than raking the grout out and re-grouting.

a re-grout is hard, long, boring and tedious work. I have done it myself in my parents bathroom. It took me 2 days just to scrape out all the grout in a standard sized bathroom with walls tiled full height only around 3 sides of the bath. a professional will charge you more for a re-grout because it is hard work and there is no guarantee that your existing tiles won't be chipped, cracked or knocked off accidently.

If you want a re-grout done, you'll struggle to find a professional to do it for you. If you want to simply refresh the grout or give it a new look, you'd be better off doing a DIY style job yourself as many tiling professionals will probably be booked on other jobs for the next couple of months.

D

DHTiling

Hi Dave thanks for your reply.
Reading other similar threads, i see that re-grouting is not something that the professionals are too keen to be doing. But would you or anyone advise me on how long it could take given the measures as above?
tiles size: 9.5cm x 9.5cm - 462 tiles --> approximate area: 4.1 sqm

As a quick guide.. i would say 2 days..

Reply to kitchen tile re-grouting - how long? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom being refurbished. A load of things have been rushed like some loosely rollered (not...
Replies
Views
Unfortunately the tiler did not follow the manufactures instructions for mixing up the two part...
Replies
Views
Hi there Homeowner here who recently had my kitchen tiled by a professional tiler. We’ve been...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
kitchen tile re-grouting - how long?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.