UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss large floor with potential problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

falkirktiler

Hi Guys and dolls, went to look at a large floor for a customer today and looking for some feedback/thoughts...it seems to be quite a strange construction as floors go, its a new extension with heating pipes installed ,then ply, not sure how thick, then cement board , then more ply,(15mm), screwed down , but no where near the 250-300 centres that I do. The floor still seems a bit spongy and no more screws can be driven in because of the heating system and the 15mm ply overlay has been butted very tightly together. Basically these levels have all been added to increase the height because the architect got his levels wrong . The guy who is looking after the project is a mate of mine and he's asking basically what can I do to help. On first inspection I thought about uncoupling with flexi everything but the more I think about it it's a bit of a gamble cause I know the membrane only helps with the lateral stresses of the floor... it's 80sq metres by the way 60x30 porcelain tile.... any suggestions or am I just being to cautious?

B

bugs183

Is the underfloor heating system based upon soft polystyrene panels that are screwed to the floor then the pipes 'clipped' into???
My mate wanted me to tile straight on top, he said the tech dept said you could, i phoned and they reckoned two layers of 15mm ply lapped across each but not stuck down in any way was fine for me to tile on.
I refused to tile it, awful system.
It could be this, as it is it sounds bad enough, i'd avoid this one mate like the plague!!!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hi Guys and dolls, went to look at a large floor for a customer today and looking for some feedback/thoughts...it seems to be quite a strange construction as floors go, its a new extension with heating pipes installed ,then ply, not sure how thick, then cement board , then more ply,(15mm), screwed down , but no where near the 250-300 centres that I do. The floor still seems a bit spongy and no more screws can be driven in because of the heating system and the 15mm ply overlay has been butted very tightly together. Basically these levels have all been added to increase the height because the architect got his levels wrong . The guy who is looking after the project is a mate of mine and he's asking basically what can I do to help. On first inspection I thought about uncoupling with flexi everything but the more I think about it it's a bit of a gamble cause I know the membrane only helps with the lateral stresses of the floor... it's 80sq metres by the way 60x30 porcelain tile.... any suggestions or am I just being to cautious?

Classic.

Imagine if they got it wrong when building bridges and they didn't meet in the middle etc Wonder what they'd change then.

F

falkirktiler

Hi Charlie, the site manager has already assured me that all that can be done on this floor has been done already, the skirtings etc are already fitted , the whole project is behind by 10 months, the builders are about to leave the site so I have been told that lifting layers and delaying further is not an option. The house overlooks Gleneagles golf course and is a very prestigious development, so skirtings and doors etc I don't want to touch, as you can imagine ,everything in this house is mega bucks...Thanks for your interest though mate:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to large floor with potential problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I’m tiling a ground floor of a house approx 120m through a ground floor with 5 doorways in the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.