UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Large Glazed Porcelain Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DanStott

Hello,

First off, a massive thanks to all the people that have offered their advice on this forum. I'm a novice DIYer currently undertaking the project of tiling my bathroom, mainly fuelled by financial reasons rather than my confidence in tiling and whilst the work I've done so far is nowhere near perfect and would be noticable to trained eyes, it would almost certainly be going horribly wrong if it wasn't for this forum.

Once my 600 x 300 porcelain tiles tiles had been delivered, I was all ready to nip down to B&M bargains to pick up some cheap and cheerful tile adhesive when I thought I'd better do some reading, thank god I did. I was under the naive impression that the bigger the tile, the easier the job!

From levelling the wall, using bagged rather than ready mixed adhesive, using acrylic primer rather than PVA, the list goes on. The advice on this forum has saved me a lot of time and money, so thanks for that!! I'm at the point now where I won't do anything until I've done a bit of research.

One area I am struggling with is the cutting of the tiles. My first purchase was a very bad one, I bought a handheld tile and glass cutter which on the youtube promo video showed this wonderful piece of kit cutting through all thicknesses of tile and glass up to 1/2 an inch thick. Needless to say this so called 'amazing' cutter could not cut my 10mm porcelain tiles. My next purchase was a 450W wet cutter with diamond blade from a well known DIY store which claimed to cut porcelain, I was really impressed up until about 100mm into the first tile when it decided it couldn't cut anymore. At this point I thought the blade must be the problem, so I bought a better blade which cost £11.00 and claimed to cut through granite, quarry tile, porcelain etc.. but the same happened again around 100mm. I've got about 30m to cut which by my reckoning would cost about £3,300.00 in blades at this rate :yikes:

I've done some more reading on the forum and the Big Clinker has had some good reviews, I was however hoping to pick something up for around £50 which I'm starting to think may be overly optimistic, I feel like I'm throwing money away at the minute through trial and error.

I would be really grateful if somebody could offer some advice on this.

All the best

Danny

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Large Glazed Porcelain Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I need advice on score and snap cutting of large porcelain tiles, lets say, over 1000 mm long...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 45m2 of 1.2 x 1.2 Mirage 9mm floor tiles to lay. Never done this size before. I’m...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.