UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Laying 30m2 of 900x600 slate tiles ourselves -- are we insane? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

V

veryfluffy

I'm about to order the slate for the kitchen/breakfast room, and need to know whether this is even remotely feasible before I go ahead. We were planning on getting a tiler to actually lay it, but the one recommended to us has (like so many tradesmen seem to do) come along to look at the job, promised to give me a price, and never been heard from again. I have also just had a look at some of the experiences of people on this forum, and it seems that hiring a professional tiler is no guarantee of getting a decent job anyway -- there are some horror stories. So The Man and I have decided we may as well lay the floor ourselves, even if it takes us a while. I've successfully tiles my fireplaces hearth with small slate tiles, and He has done a brilliant job on ordinary ceramic tiles in another kitchen. He's handy with cement and a spirit level generally.

So the room is about 30 m2. I would like to use the 900 x 600 calibrated slate tiles.

The floor is concrete -- all major holes have been filled in, there are still some little chips of maybe 1 to 3 mm. It is otherwise level. Previous floor was woodblocks, which left some bitumen resider in places after being removed.

1 - I've been advised that the floor should be sealed with Aquaprufe bitumen sealer, as it almost certainly doesn't have a DPM, even though it is sound and dry, although is a bit dusty/flaky in places. Does this bitumen sealer act as a primer or would I need to prime on top of this? Or just PVA?

2. Are these big 900 x 600 tiles going to be harder or easier to lay than smaller ones (eg 600 x 400)? I expect them to be heavy to wrangle, but there will be fewer of them, so less grouting...

3. Which adhesive? I would like to bed the tiles quite thickly -- probably about 10mm average to give flexibility for different thicknesses of the slates. We'll probably only be laying a few at a time, so won't need to be able to walk on and grout very quickly, and it sounds as though the rapid sets are harder to work with? What sort of trowel?

4. If this is remotely possibly to do DIY, what else should I consider? (I know about cleaning, sealing before and after, and massive amounts of rinsing off the grout). We will either get a wet cutter or use an angle grinder to cut...

5. If I did decide that it's too insane for us to do, what should a reasonable tiler charge for laying these? (East Midlands, rural...). and I could probably manage the grouting myself anyway...

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
If you get an actual professional tiler, you will be guaranteed to get a good job.

Check references out and don't always just go off a recommendation.

I'd also say that in this economy, a lot of very experienced tilers don't have much work on, so I'd say it should be quite easy to find 3 to provide you with an estimate. Then check all references, and choose from there.

Perhaps put the job in the "I'm looking for a wall and floor tiler" forum category and see who responds?

You're tackling a fairly big job there though and it'd be a shame to see another 'going to have to rip it up and start again' thread. They're always costly.

Welcome to the forum though. :) And if you're willing to give it a go, I'm sure you'll get the advice you need.

B

bugs183

Hi Fluffy.
This is a big job for someone who has not laid this size material before.
It really would pay to get this laid professionally. Yes there have been some shocking jobs on here, but being human people spend more time talking about things that went wrong than went well, you rarely see anyone posting on here saying 'wow, my tiler did a great job and we're really happy', so do bear that in mind.
These are big tiles and lugging these around won't be easy, as for adhesive bedding, an experienced will know whether your tile is bedded well.
Do it by all means, if you work as a team it's possible. I'd use a grinder to cut as you would have to buy or hire an expensive and very large wet cutter to cut these tiles with. Adhesive i'd certainly use slow setting, Bal Gold Star is lovely to use as is Mapei Keraflex Maxi. No PVA! It's rubbish, SBR is better, but the bitumin has to go. Use a 15mm notched trowel at least to bed these tiles and back butter the backs of the slate too.

V

veryfluffy

I would love to have someone else lay it, but I have to admit that time and muscle are in greater supply than money. Plus my experiences with quite a few tradesmen in recent years has been less than stellar generally (mostly they simply fail to turn up when they say, don't come back with quotes when promised, or do a job that really doesn't look like we couldn't have done it as well ourselves). I'm willing to spend the time, energy and materials to do it right, rather than working to a timescale because I have another job lined up already -- no disrespect intended to the professionals here who would never behave in that way, of course. So if it is feasible to do DIY, that is going to be a better option. I just like to get a grip on what's involved, what preparation, tools and materials are needed, and likely pitfalls. I was hoping that there might be some advice available, although I am getting the feeling this forum is really only targeted at professionals?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
There are a few very good tilers on this forum from around your area. Put a post in the "looking for a tiler" board and see what comes back. No offence but the material and size of the tiles you intend to lay are a little above DIY. Not to say that you and the other half couldn't do a cracking job. Certainly looks like your putting some good thought into it.

I can never understand tradesmen that go out to quote a job and never deliver a price.

W

White Room

There are a few very good tilers on this forum from around your area. Put a post in the "looking for a tiler" board and see what comes back. No offence but the material and size of the tiles you intend to lay are a little above DIY. Not to say that you and the other half couldn't do a cracking job. Certainly looks like your putting some good thought into it.

I can never understand tradesmen that go out to quote a job and never deliver a price.
Strange it may be but I've heard alot of this recently and thats all kinds of trades:confused_smile:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
personally i would bite the bullet and do as the others have said,it could end up costing you more in the long run.:oops:

And no offence to your good self,but you mentioned PVA,so you aint done much research in the prepping never mind laying,and this is a absolute must in tiling and most defo in tiling with a natural product .:thumbsup:
But good luck with the job,if i was around your area i would jump at the job,i love slate or stone it looks the dogs when done right:smilewinkgrin:

V

veryfluffy

Thanks Widler, wish you were local (what would you have quoted me, out of curiosity?). Posted the job on the Tilers Wanted section yesterday, and no replies yet, so you are obviously a rarity. I seem to be doomed to the DIY route!

That's why I am doing research by, eg, asking for advice in places like this. Interestingly, the slate supplier's website does suggest PVA, I never heard of SBR before this, but at least now I know that's the way to go! Any other help you can give me, if you are a pro at this?

So SBR to seal the concrete...do I need any other sort of primer after that as well, or is it straight to the tiling adhesive?

W

White Room

Thanks Widler, wish you were local (what would you have quoted me, out of curiosity?). Posted the job on the Tilers Wanted section yesterday, and no replies yet, so you are obviously a rarity. I seem to be doomed to the DIY route!

That's why I am doing research by, eg, asking for advice in places like this. Interestingly, the slate supplier's website does suggest PVA, I never heard of SBR before this, but at least now I know that's the way to go! Any other help you can give me, if you are a pro at this?

So SBR to seal the concrete...do I need any other sort of primer after that as well, or is it straight to the tiling adhesive?

I would thin the sbr 3-1 with water to seal the floor.....

V

veryfluffy

So how much easier would it be to do the 600 x 400?

Is it just the weight of them that makes this a tough job? What are the pitfalls?

Is there much more to it than adequate preparation, correct materials and tools, attention to detail, and a bit of brute strength?

So far, one reply to my request for a tiler, from someone not exactly in the area...I tried to get a quote from someone local who was recommended, and he's not come back to me.

As I said, I have rather more time and energy than I have funds available, so if at all possible we like to do the job ourselves. A couple of years ago I laid, sanded and finished 30 sq m of reclaimed woodblock flooring -- also a job I was advised needed a pro. It looks fantastic, even if it took a long time and a lot of effort and stress.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
fluffy time and energy dont equal skill im afraid so yes there is much more to it.would you consider building a brick wall to a pro standard 1st go or would you consider building a staircase to a pro standard? anyone can lay tiles but to lay them properly with pro finish takes skill,i can see your keen it just depends what kind of finish you are going to be happy with in your home .

if you are keen to do some tiling i would suggest small jobs to start,the tools involved and knowledge of how to actually use the products and materials correctly never mind the stone itself i think you would be cheaper getting a pro in,if it goes wrong imagine the cost of rectifying it

V

veryfluffy

I don't doubt that a pro could do a better job, and especially do it a lot quicker, which is getting important, if only I could find someone! If the base is sound and sealed, and not too many awkward corners, how long would an experience slate tiler take for a job like this? Might help me guess if I could afford it...

Just been looking at how much adhesive I'm going to need, and the cost of that is making my eyes water already!

V

veryfluffy

Thanks, Bubblecraft, that is really helpful! I would love to be able to get it done over a week, instead of the month it is likely to take us.

Unfortunately it seems that all the tilers in my area must already be inundated with work -- or they don't visit this forum -- because so far no one local seems interested! I have had terrible experiences with anyone I ever got out of yellow pages or adverts, so unless someone I know recommends, it is hard to know how to find a pro.

Reply to Laying 30m2 of 900x600 slate tiles ourselves -- are we insane? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm tiling the floor of a wetroom and would like some advice on the best way to lay the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.