UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Laying costs for porcelain tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

epymsam

I'm getting a bathroom fitted, but my fitter says he charges £20/m2 extra for fitting porcelain tiles. I know that they more difficult to cut / drill than ceramics, but isn't a £20/m2 premium a little steep?

If anyone is interested in the job (small bathroom approx 12 m2 total (floor and walls) in Wimbledon SW London, then please reply with your rates. Note, there's not too much cutting involved really. The only complicated bit is around a toilet pan, and around the pipework for the basin taps.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
It could be a reasonable charge to be honest. If the tile can't be cut with the usual quick dry-cutter the tiler may need to 'wet-cut' each cut tile so even in a small bathroom, especially walls and floor, this could slow the job down a fair bit, so if he has seen the tile and the job and has given the price i suspect that he is aware of the extra time it would take to cut all the tiles.

Example, a run of 10 tiles all cut the same on a flat bed cuter could take 20 seconds, a run of the same 10 tiles on a wet-cutter could take 20 minutes, so the job isn't just doubled in cutting. Small jobs where the % of cut tiles is great, due to the lack of wall and floor tile in the middle that doesn't need cutting can increase per meter in cost. So it's not always a case of small job/small price.

The bigger the job, the more tiles between the cuts to go at, the less per meter it may have been priced with porcelain tiles.

If that makes any sense.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Laying costs for porcelain tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Seeking ideas for filling in a cut-out section of a porcelain tile floor. I removed a display...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
Hi My builder is doing a lift conversation for us. He has tiled the walls of my existing...
Replies
Views
S
Hi forum ! I have just had my bathroom tiled in porcelain tiles and need advice on which drills...
Replies
Views
shiftspark
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.