Discuss laying my first quartz tiles - help needed please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gnome

this weekend im ordering 20+ 600x600 black starlight quartz from tilehq.
i need some advice and help regarding a few issues.....

1- what adhesive brand do i need/use . i now know its a 2PF but in your professional experiences what exact one would be the best for a slowiish keen diy tiler and the easiest to use to suit my tile choice . ive heard keraquick and grani rapid mentioned a few times.. any other/better ones !
just seen on tilehq they have "keraflex" on special at over £4 cheaper a 20kg bag than "keraquick "

2-im also confused if the tilehq starlight quartz need sealing (im asking you as retailors often say you need this and that when you dont ). i have read on here that they do and also the total opposite as they are impervious to water/moisture.... so how would the sealer penetrate if i did need to use it and what one to get .

3- do i need to prepare the old kitchen concrete floor( ie use a primer ) or can i tile straight onto it.

4- what size notched trowel do i need(is it 12mm ) and i have read a few comments about these tiles not adhering properly..... you guys said they need back buttering , what is this process ! is it notching the tile with adhesive also

5- is a 2mm grout gap ok as i want to give the impression the whole floor is one piece of quartz. also what grout do i use... i read on here ultracolour but on tile hq the darkest was "nero" and that was like a dark greyy black !!! . i want a grout that mathes these tiles in colour for the seamless look.

hopefully i get a few recommendations on what to use but can i stress that im on a fairly tight budget and i cannot afford the dearest/best of everything but i do not want to compromise a good job so if its needed i will just have to get it.
sorry if its a bit long winded but i know ive come to the best place

Last edited by a moderator:
hello
1. I would use keraquick with latex plus admixture or 2 part granirapid
2. I would double check with supplier, some good quality quartz doesn't need sealing at all, some does need it, quartz is low absorbent material, it have good resistance, but If you cant find information then I would seal it before grouting.
3. I would prime concrete with diluted primer 1:3
4. before fixing you have to give them a good clean, sometimes they come very dusty, back buttering is when you apply adhesive on back of the tile also as on the sub floor. 12mm notched trowel is fine
5. dark grey is antracite, nero is black, I would recommend 3mm spacer, sometimes quartz vary in sizes slightly,
but if your floor not as big you could consider using 2mm as it would look better
Good Luck buddy :)

D

Daz

1. On a concrete substrate, you will be fine with a single part flexible adhesive, IMO. But a 2 part is fine if you want to be sure.
2. Check with supplier as all tiles vary and no definitive advice can be given without seeing the tile.
3. How flat is the substrate? If you want to fix 600 x 600 tiles then the floor needs to be spot on. It may well need to be covered with a floor smoothing compound prior to tiling.
4. Use your 12mm notched trowel on the floor and also skim the back of the tile using the flat side of the trowel. You will need to lift the odd tile to ensure that you are achieving 100% adhesive coverage.
5. British Standards states that minimum 3mm grout joint on floors. If you go less then you are leaving yourself open to future issues that will not be supported by the materials manufacturers.

Good Luck,

Daz

G

gnome

Hi Gnome, you might want to check with the suppliers. I don't want to alarm you but some cheaper quartz tiles can curl, if you don't use a two part eg. Keraquick and Latex plus. I have heard a few stories, from other fixers having this problem. Good luck:thumbsup:
thanks phill, i have read that too and will most definately inquire before buying .
i just want to get as many impartial unbiased views from you guys as possible . keep em coming !

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to laying my first quartz tiles - help needed please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
laying my first quartz tiles - help needed please
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.