UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Leaking Shower enclosures in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Bill

I have had 2 shower enclosures fitted and both leak, our installer has been out and checked all the pipes in one of the enclosures.......no leak..... he is sure of this and both showers pipes were live for a few weeks before he tiled over them, there are no cracks in the grout but they are fine grout lines and the grout has been applied quite shallow(i can see this as a centre section of tiles has been removed in one shower to expose the pipes). I cannot see how the tray would be leaking as this has been sealed twice now and seems inpenatrable. The damp area is showing to the side of the showers and is coming from behind the tiles............its driving me mad. The installer blames the products used eg the grout or metal strips and porcelanosa blame the installer. Im going round in circles. Also i have pushed my nail in the the grout in the other shower and the grout just caved in as its so shallow and soft so i also have a gap in the grout line now lol...........HELP

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Welcome Markok1981

Even though your tiles are grouted as NZtiler says this does not make it watertight. The grout you say only appears to be very shallow in places. The water would penetrate this very easily in the wet areas. The grout needed to be pushed right into the joint. It should reach the depth of the tile in every joint. It may have to be raked out and re-grouted if that is the case.

B

Bill

IMG_9632.jpg IMG_9630.jpg IMG_9635.jpg IMG_9628.jpg IMG_9627.jpg IMG_9629.jpg 1ST 3 Pic from one shower next 3 from 2nd shower

Attachments

• IMG_9633.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 58

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
You can see in picture 3 that the tile has lipping and also the grout is not pushed far enough into the joint as pointed out earlier. I would say that looks the more likely cause. Has the installer run the shower whilst the tiles have been removed to see if there are any leaks when it is switched on? It also appears the tiles were just dotted with addy as well by what's left on the wall.

Reply to Leaking Shower enclosures in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.