UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Leaking tray trouble!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

justinisaac

Hi all, hope this is in the right forum!

I recently re built our bathroom from top to bottom, including replacing 8 floor joists and removing and replacing the ceiling. I took quite a while to do it so that I could make sure that everything was as I wanted it so I was mortified to discover after a few weeks that the shower is leaking. After further investigation it appears that the join between tray and tiles is the weak spot. It seems that the silicone, while adhering well to the tiles has not formed a strong bond with the tray and water is getting drawn under the silicone. The underside of the silicone is already discoloured with mould and if you push it with your finger the water held underneath oozes out.
This is the first time that I have had a problem of this kind. Has anyone out there had a similar problem?
I don't know what to do to be honest so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Justin

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Hi Justin, can you post a couple of pictures please?

Also, what is the tray made of? - Stone resin, cast resin, plastic etc
Is it floor fitted on did you use a leg kit? Build a plinth etc?
What is/was the condition of the floor under the shower tray?

My first guess would be movement in the tray from what you describe. Pictures would certainly help us advise further.

J

justinisaac

Thanks for the replies gents, I will try to get some photos up later.
The tray is a cast resin one on a leg assembly. The floor is new consisting of 18mm WBP plywood screwed to the joists every 6". Joists are approx 16" centres. Once I had fitted the tray and sealed around it in the usual fashion I squirted 4 or 5 cans of expanding foam underneath because I was concerned that the leg assembly was not up to the task, even though the supplier seemed to think it would be fine. I wish in retrospect that I had made a plinth and bedded it down like I usually do.

A

AJPlumbing

Thanks for the replies gents, I will try to get some photos up later. The tray is a cast resin one on a leg assembly. The floor is new consisting of 18mm WBP plywood screwed to the joists every 6". Joists are approx 16" centres. Once I had fitted the tray and sealed around it in the usual fashion I squirted 4 or 5 cans of expanding foam underneath because I was concerned that the leg assembly was not up to the task, even though the supplier seemed to think it would be fine. I wish in retrospect that I had made a plinth and bedded it down like I usually do.
Sorry to hear of your leak Justin. If you ever do another bathroom, tank the whole floor, and tank the walls in and around the shower/bath area before you fit any shower trays or bathtubs. You can also tile the entire room before fitting trays or tubs if you wish. Either way, if there is any kind of leak from a failed silicone joint around a tray or tub you should not experience water damage in adjacent rooms.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Expanding foam!? (Ouch!!!! I've just bit my toungue hard enough to draw blood!!) Why on earth would you do this?
This could be a contributing factor. Even if i thought that it might be a good idea 4-5 cans is an awlful lot. What size is your shower tray?

As TFS has said, expaning foam will flex, compress and move once gone off. If you've used too much you could of put pressure under the tray and lifted it (may only be a few mm). I can guarantee that this would compress, break or fail as soon as you step in and use the shower. IMO

Put some pictures up when you get a minute so we can take a look.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Depending on the size of the tray one length of 4"x2" timber (sawn or CLS - CLS should be cheaper) will do.

If you've installed a stone tray with a riser kit or "easy plumb" kit you find the fascia panels to be around 95-100mm (4")
Glue or screw (or both) a few supporting timbers under the tray and adjust the legs so it comes down to it. Put a bead of silicone (open nozzled) along the top before you do. The silicone will allow a bit of movement and stop the timber damaging any of the tray on the underside.

However, you shouldn't need to do this at all. Stone resin trays are pretty solid, and barely flex at all if at all. The legs provided with the riser kit are more than capable of supporting the tray.

Again we haven't seen any pictures yet but i think i agree as above. Get it out and re-instate (minus the foam). You could of caused more damage than you realise. The waste etc like metioned above (tfs), did you use solvent weld pipe or push fit?
Did you repair or over board the chip board floor before installing? As in under the tray as well. Too much EF in this area could bow and weaken your chipboard.

Keep posting, asking and updating and between us all we'll get it sorted :hurray:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Leaking tray trouble!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
I had my bathroom done in September and my floor tiles have movement in them and the grout is...
Replies
Views
Hi All First post long storey short had arranged for someone to re model my bathroom on the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.