UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Leaving the Army in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Minty913

I posted on here and got some great advice last year about leaving the Army after my next tour of Afghanistan.

Well I have decided I’m going to go for it the Army is a good job but the time I spend away on day to day Duty not including tour is far too much as I have 3 young boys.
One of the good thing is I never lived on camp and have my own house so I’m used to living in the real world paying, not the Army world only paying £100 a month for your house.

So I am off on tour in March now so should get back around September, I am looking at around 7 weeks off ( touch wood ) so if there are any Tilers in Swindon that want some free labour please get in touch as I am keen on getting some hands on experience and would not want paying.

Can you earn a good living with 2 Tilers as my best friends is leaving about a years after me and would like to go in to business with him but can you earn enough money for Two of you 50/50?

Or would you have to go on to site work in-between your private jobs?

Hope your all well
Minty:lol:

M

Minty913

Good luck with your decision to go self employed but going into partnership doesn't always work, but maybe if your mate became a plumber you could help each other out with work and then offer a full bathroom refit. Will you get a resettlement course off the army? There's a thread on here with reviews of the training centres available

tapatalk on my HTC

Hi Mike

Yeah I will be getting the course paid for by the army; I am just worried about the whole partnership thing as will there be enough work out there.
He was saying he would not mind doing plumbing maybe I can have a word with him about it.
There should be a year gap between me and him leaving. I want to do everything slow time so we get it right and not just jump in to it.
But I can see us having to try getting in to the commercial / siting work as I don’t think private jobs would pay for both of us unless like you said he becomes a plumber.
Does anyone ells have a business partner? Dose this work?
Minty

R

Rich

I have a partnership with my brother. We started it at the worst possible time but we are still going and getting stronger every year. That said, it has taken an UNBELIEVABLE amount of blood sweat and tears, I literally have not had a life for the last 3 years and there is no way i would have been able to afford to keep a family with the money we were making. When we started the business up, I had lots of experience, lots of contacts and a sterling reputation so going at it from scratch with two of you and a family to feed has bad news written all over it IMO.

M

Minty913

Thanks every one given me a lot to think about.

I have spoke to him and think he is happy to learn a different trade Kitchens or Bathrooms.
A minimum I would have to earn is 1500 PCM after tax, is this possible? Lol
Do you know a **** thing but next month when I am in afghan will be taking home 1700 PCM after tax one of the main reasons I would like to re-trade but on the bright side I get a sun tan and a sharpshooter lol
Thank you all again for all your advice it will be a year and 8 months till I go for this but want to get a game plan together and as much advice and experience as possible. Take it none of you are from Swindon and want a free worker lol

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Leaving the Army in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi I am thinking of training to gain city and guilds on weekends I’m just wondering is there...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.