Discuss Level compound over UFHmats in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

When the builders removed the fired earth tiles they dug down abut 3 inches to bottom concrete floor. Instead of re screeding all the floor to bring back to old level they installed woodern joists and then boards on top. Looks good and warmer but just need to know re this compound as heard some many rumours re latex reacting wire electric cable over time...so now really confused!!

Also which DIY place sells this on Sunday as tiler comes in on Tuesday.

Leave this levelling to your tiler.. he has to give the guarantee on the job , so best to leave prep etc to him..

D

DHTiling

I was under the impression that you don't have to self level over ufh. I know it makes the job easier for tilers but surely with a flexi adhesive and grout then why the need for sl? It's just an added cost and is causing confusion for the poster. Just my opinion but anybody know why he HAS to sl it? SL is NOT meant to cover the wires, it is only used to bring it to the same level as the wire height so no need for it if you ask me. Also, if the poster is going to do this himself (without being disrespectful) there may be a chance that the sl could be applied wrong, leaving lumps and uneveness fo the tiler to overcome, with the possibility of a wrong mixture cracking in the future, sorry to throw a spanner in the works but just going off past experience

Most UFH suppliers recommend it now... Do you tile for a living..?

S

simon1

It is to encapsulate the wires and disperse the heat evenly.
As for the theory of an added cost..not so. One way or another the areas between the wires need to be filled with something, be it adhesive or SLC.
Taking the SLC route should you have to remove a tile at a later date for repair you will stand a far better chance of not damaging the UFH cables.

Top advice

Reply to Level compound over UFHmats in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
D
Replies
Views
Deleted member 57709
D
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi Ive been browsing your forums over the years looking for guidance for odd tiling DIY tasks...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Level compound over UFHmats
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.