UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Level in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mike Mike

whitebeam: assuming the floor is not level, im assuming you would use a Self Levelling compound? How easy is it to get a perfectly flat with SLC?

It is possible but only if you use significant quantities of SLC, poured at around 10mm. Read the data sheets carefully. Usually it is around 1.6kg per mm per m2. Also, look for an SLC that takes between 6 and 6.5 litres of water (for a 20kg bag) if you want good flow properties. SLC's that take 3.5 litres are utterly worthless. You need to locate the lowest point on the floor and measure it relative to the highest to work out how many mm's you need to build up. The make sure you have more SLC than you strictly need, and hold back pouring it all if you get a level floor first. There is nothing worse than having too little because your floor will never be level, or even flat!

C

charlie1

What happens lay it with a level and you have a step at the door ?

Hi pjc,

This is what I do, you should recognise the method because it was your good self how described it to me about 4 years ago!

Lay 1st tile flat with a large level across it, then make fine adjustments using mallet. Project the level as far out as you can so you can assess where the true plane of the tiles will be in all directions.

What do you mean step at the door?

P

Perry

Hi pjc,

This is what I do, you should recognise the method because it was your good self how described it to me about 4 years ago!

Lay 1st tile flat with a large level across it, then make fine adjustments using mallet. Project the level as far out as you can so you can assess where the true plane of the tiles will be in all directions.

What do you mean step at the door?
Let's say the floor was 50mm higher in the centre of the bathroom than at the door you would have 50mm step plus the thickness of the tiles and board so could end up with up to say an 80mm step if you laid the tiles level on some large floors you could have a nice 180 step into a shop
Now a straightedge yes so it's flat

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I used to make sure the floor was flat with a straight edge but not particularly level unless the floor was only a few mm out over a couple of meters.

Waaaaay too many floors and houses in general are not level themselves. You'd end up causing issues where the floor meets other floors, or even skirting issues, or radiator pipes would look out of level and that sort of jazz.

Should always be flat though.

My kitchen floor drops off where an extension was built. The floor is flat up to that point and it must have sunk a bit over the years as it has settled. I trip up on it and it's only a few mm out. You do notice floors that drop off or are not flat. But I couldn't tell you if the floor is level overall. I guess I wouldn't notice if it wasn't providing it was flat.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Level in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi - I ripped up laminate flooring on a concrete subfloor. It was my first DIY project and...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.