UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Leveling uneven kitchen walls for porcelain tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

poiupp

-
UK
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about 20.6kg/sqm
The wall is not flat and it's plastered. When ripping the current tiles off, some of the plaster also came off and when doing the "coin test" I can feel that some bit of plaster are not sound.
Considering all this I think that tiling over the existing plaster is a no go. How can I solve the situation?
I was thinking about doing the following:

1) in the area that will be tiled, chisel away the unsound plaster exposing the sort of mortar underneat. Leave everything as is where I will not be tiling... the kitchen units will cover that area anyway
2) install sheets of 6mm hardiebacker in the recessed areas where I will be tiling
3) install all the kitchen units and then tile over the hardiebacker
Do you think this would work? Any other idea?

I know I could just use plasterboard instead of the hardiebacker but it would be ticker and I don't know if that thickness would be excessive. Any advice?

Could I just try skimming the wall with some cheap-ish rapid set tile adhesive? Or will it build too much adhesive on the wall considering that I then have to use a 10mm layer for the tiles?

Last edited:

poiupp

-
UK
Here are a couple of pictures.
The remaining bits of the old kitchen will be gone by end of today, but I won't be moving any copper pipe or any of the electrics, so I can't really bring the whole wall back to bricks. I thought that my best bets are to either:
-somehow flatten by skimming, but I can't do it with plaster because of the tiles weight issue AND I don't intend to wait 3/4 weeks for it to dry. What product could I use for that?
-create a recess just where the tiles are going to be and add a layer of hardieback just there (however, I would probably need to put some sort of leveling compound behind it because there's no way I can create a flat and uniform recess. Again... what product could I use for that?

Attachments

• IMG_20240807_075540.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20240807_075533.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 36
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Leveling uneven kitchen walls for porcelain tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

How would you go about tiling a floor and or wall that's massively out of plumb ? When things...
Replies
Views
What would you guys do with the walls to prep for fitting 1200mm x 600mm Onice Verde (Porcelain)...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.