Discuss Levelling out walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

I can't get my head around this very simple task.

Today I was tiling what I thought was a level wall.

Only it turned out that it wasn't.

So, I have tried to level it out using Rapid Set SPF, a product that most of you use for this so I understand.

What am I doing wrong? As soon as I think I've got it level the tiles then tell me otherwise when they go up.

This is really doing my head in.

I managed to get around this by adjusting the tiles to minimise lippage, though I'm not 100% happy with the results.

There has to be a trick to get around this.

The Wedi board wall wil be easy as it is built on studwork, which is dead level. It's the plastered walls that are giving me grief.

I have tied building up with SPF and using a straight edge to form the level. The real problem is that achieving 100% level over the whole wall seems to be impossible, especially over a 2.4m wall.

Tiling on a level wall is easy.

Before I seriously throw my toys out of the pram with this one - any ideal please?

W

White Room

I never antisipate the wall being flat, put a 6ft level across the wall where there are any dips just fill out slightly, then just build up on tile if they are larger ones.

If there small light ones then a reskim but use a darby to just rule off the first coat and fill any dips...then second coat..
Could also use a skimming float made out of wood which should keep it flat unlike a trowel which can bend while troweling on plaster.

C

cornish_crofter

I was trying to use a straight edge on these.

The process was to apply and level out then start fixing the tiles.

I am having a real problem applying the adhesive so that the tiles sit level and have 100% coverage.

What doesn't help is that these tile (200 x 250) have been seen to be slightly curved. That means that when they are pressed against the adhesive the top and bottom are OK but the middle isn't. CTD have a lot to answer for here!

I'm about to rip the whole lot out and start again! I've only done one wall today and it's really hacking me off.

I am using the Weber rapid set SPF. Seeing as Weber and CTD are part of the same group, I smell a rat here! The adhesive is going off far too quickly. I must admit I had much better luck with the Mapaker stuff that I sourced for my last tiling job a few months ago.

I am REALLY pissed off with CTD, their TILES and WEBER!

C

cornish_crofter

Not quite sure what to do here.

These are CTD standard bumpy whites. The wall surface has dips of probably about 4mm at the very most.

When I put a level on them they won't be flat as they are curved, not by design but by crap quality. If I wanted tiles like these I'd go to B and Q. The tiles sit fairly well against the level on the whole. The few that didn't have been taken out with a view to be replaced.

I was advised by Weber and CTD to go for their rapid set for these. The rep was there at the time. Tomorrow I'm going to be having a conversation with the CTD branch manager. I am wasting about 15% of each mix.

If I can get the wall sorted first, then the adhesive may stand a chance of being used before it goes off.

I have a 2.7m long wall that needs tiling floor to ceiling over 1,2m of its length, then up to 1m high for the rest.

What I am thinking of doing is to level it out as much as possible using a straight edge using the rapid set, then leave it whilst I tile a wall opposite. Hopefully once I get back to that wall the adhesive should be dry enough for me to tile onto.

W

White Room

I use a Ragni trowel bought from B&Q, 9mm notches

spacer_white.gif

250x180_ragni.jpg

The Superlite mastic Trowel is designed for evenly spreading adhesive.

Has U shaped serrated edges on one side and the top edge, and two straight edges for finishing in corners and cutting off.
The Trowel has a polished and ground flexible steel blade and a banana shaped plastic handle.
Blade Size. 11in x 4.3/4in

Reply to Levelling out walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Levelling out walls
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.