Discuss Levelling out walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

The trouble with using a smaller notched trowel on an uneven wall is, well, what your experiencing, the tile will follow the wall, with a bigger notch trowel it takes up many deviations, also, what area of wall are you spreading at a time ? if you do a large area and trowel it either vertically or horizontally to achieve a consistent bed, you shouldn't go far wrong.

C

cornish_crofter

The trouble with using a smaller notched trowel on an uneven wall is, well, what your experiencing, the tile will follow the wall, with a bigger notch trowel it takes up many deviations, also, what area of wall are you spreading at a time ? if you do a large area and trowel it either vertically or horizontally to achieve a consistent bed, you shouldn't go far wrong.

Ah I see Alan, thank you.

I must admit with the Weber rapid set I was applying adhesive to a small area at a time.

The good news is that I do have a couple of larger notche trowels and some Weber slow set now.

I have tidied up for now and will be back after Chrstmas. I was going to work til the 24th, which would probably have given me enough time for the tiling but not for the finishing, plumbing, refitting of the suite etc. So new year, fresh mind etc and less pressure.

I've not got anything pencelled in for new year yet, so that is the first job.

C

cornish_crofter

it's more to do with plastering basecoats Hugo, using striaght edges fixed at top and bottom of the walls, but had to be straight and plumb, so that you could just run your straight edge along to get a perfectly flat rendered wall:thumbsup:

Ah I see Doug!

Done that many a time with walls. I also used it to do the main screed on this job. 2 straight edges at a predetermined fall and literally fill and drag the screed into place. That bit worked perfectly, just a shame I rushed the edges a bit.

A retired builder I know used to make a couple of ridges out of screed/render, flatten them with his straight edge then use them to level up against. It wasn't something I could get used to.

Reply to Levelling out walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Levelling out walls
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.