UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Licencing how would you expect to get one in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rich

I dont see any problem with that, or a plumber/chipy/builder/delivery driver doing tiling but there has to be something in place as an incentive to look into what your doing before hand. If I decided to do a bit of building and the roof caved in, I would expect to be in serious trouble but when an plasterer tiles a wetroom onto 6mm ply with tub from B&Q and the ceiling comes down thats fine and heis long gone and has been paid??

How does that make sense?

I dont see any problem with that, or a plumber/chipy/builder/delivery driver doing tiling but there has to be something in place as an incentive to look into what your doing before hand. If I decided to do a bit of building and the roof caved in, I would expect to be in serious trouble but when an plasterer tiles a wetroom onto 6mm ply with tub from B&Q and the ceiling comes down thats fine and heis long gone and has been paid??

How does that make sense?

If the industry is licensed you would have to be a dummy to get an unregistered tiler or any other unregistered tradesman. The public have to take some responsibility if there is a choice of registered or unregistered.
You might want to go cheap but for goodness sakes get a cheap registered tradie.
Over here if your work has contibuted to a major problem and the jobs less than 10 years, you will be prosecuted. If you are registered then its really easy to track you down. Incentive to do the job properly?....maybe, better than no accountability.
If and when regulated trades are established the public must be informed of any changes in the building codes. We just had TV coverage of certain changes in our building code just last week. With the internet, its not difficult to educate yourself either.
Small claims court over here is not that expensive, I really think the real reason not to use the courts is they dont like confrontation and being uncomfortable with the whole thing, so they will just rather start again, doesn't make sense but some people just dont like stirring things up.
Anyway those are my thoughts for what theyr'e worth:incazzato:

J

jay

iv seen cases here that houses have been built all wrong and in the wrong place but still get signed off and get full retention planning permision.they drag the case through the courts until the deadline has passed and the court has no choice bu to give in

tHIS DOESN'T SURPRISE ME IF ANYONE CAN LAY CLAIM TO BEING A BUILDER

Think the tilers over there should unite and try to force a licence system to help protect there trade

pete f

TF
Arms
bolton
There is always the cowboy customer ... I priced a job a while ago piped undertile heating in a large area the builder had laid caberboard onto joists the 20,000 kitchen was then fitted on top of the caberboard i advised the customer to overboard the caberboard with hardie 6mm and a de coupuling membrane they said the quote was too high i didnt get the job the builder tiled it straight onto the caberboard with a single part addy and the floor has failed how much is it now going to cost to put it right.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Licencing how would you expect to get one in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.