Discuss Life changing windfall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

doug boardley

Following on from puddle's thread about the Stoke tiler that won £2.5m on the lotto. What would you consider a life changing amount? and would you indeed want to change your lifestyle? I know we we would all like the security of not worrying about bills to pay etc, but what about the personal changes a large windfall would bring, ie I might want 6 weeks salmon fishing a year in Alaska, Lou may want 2 months a year in New Zealand, when would we find time to do things together? and most importantly, what about the kids? how would it affect them?
Would you move into a different social circle? what if you went to the pub and didn't buy the drinks, would you be called a tight git?, and if you did buy the drinks would people call you a flash git?
I'd imagine it would be a double edged sword at times, personally I'd love to carry on doing my work as I've always enjoyed it although salmon fishing in Alaska and 6 weeks in New Zealand would be very very nice, oh and to be able to afford a private tutor so that the kids weren't missing out too!

B

brinkley

doug i (well in my head) have already spent some of my lottery winnings villa in spain, javea to be exact overlooking montgo mountain one way and the sea the other. great place my gran used to live there and me and my sisters used to spend summer and easter holidays there one word magical.
i would also buy up cheap houses at auction do them up and sell them the other 6 months i was in the uk amd probs live in them while refurbing i need approx £2.996.001

U

user123

First thing on the list would be first class flight tickets to and from Australia to see my son and his family to be as often as we'd like, and they us, in comfort and not having to worry about income and time off work on either side, that would be so lovely, I miss him, and that flight isn't easy, first class tickets would make it all so much more pleasant. Apart from that unlimited mosaic materials and travel opportunities, yes, really that is it, everything else is ok as it is really. And old age in real comfort is worth a lot, so not having to worry about that would be good, too. As Dave said, a million isn't enough these days, and I think I would go a bit bananas at first, to be honest, buying myself things I never treat myself to now, like really yummy organic toiletries or pamper treatments, that sort of thing... and I would have an ironing lady, oh yes, .... :)

S

SandyFloor

Doug, you're one of the few imo who has actually thought of the realities of coming into a fortune. In my case reward proportional to hard work is one of my reasons for living. So if I had everything on a plate I don't think I would appreciate things to the same degree. I used to climb a lot of the Munros in Scotland and on a good day you would get the most incredible views. I honestly don't think I would have the same valued memories if those views weren't preceded with a strenious 2 or 3 hour climb.

Having money on tap wouldn't be good for me. I agree a few holidays, dream house etc would be really something but if the challenge of life were gone I think I'd find life quite boring. As soon as you get used to something it no longer becomes a luxury for example if all you cars were £70K plus in value you'd feel you were slumming it in an ordinary car. Your holidays wouldn't be treasured if you could hop on a plane on a whim.

About four years ago I drifted apart from my best friend from when I was about nine years old. His wife inherited several million and over time it became apparent we had less and less in common. I had the usual worries of life and his biggest worry was if he should change the Range Rover after nine months.

Personally I reckon enough for security would be adequate and any more would be greedy.

S

Scott

I reckon a million is enough these days. IF you invest it right. Id put half into a property or 2 to refurb and use the rest to gain a small income from the interest. Im hoping ill get there one day regardless but i would be nice to do it on my own merit rather than with a win. I think that makes a difference to who you are, like Sandys mate.
It can who you are if you let it, i have a mate who is thoroughly minted and his sons. He grew up in the east end as one of 13 in a 3 bed flat. He has never changed in the time i have known him and he never will, just a genuine nice bloke, and of course he never forgets his round ;)

On the subject of lottery my dad one 5 numbers once and got £500, one of the lowest ever payouts on 5 numbers
We won a work syndicate with 5 numbers too, again one of the lowest payouts. To top all of that my inlaws won 5+ the bonus ball in the very early days of the lottery, again the lowest ever payout on 5+bonus £7k (ish) Average is around 100k

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
haha, I'd want a good 15 million and I'd totally change my lifestyle but I wouldn't change my friends. I'd need so much to share the wealth. :) I'd do a tilersforums tour of the country in a fancy bus and have internet connection in there with loads of computers so we can pull up on a pub car park or something, have a few drinks, all go online together for a bit and generally have a good laugh. :thumbsup:

I'd invest a lot I think to keep an income coming in for my family for the rest of their lives. Setup some sort of family trust thing or something.

I'd also go visit more places in the world. Probably by sea as I hate flying so I'd rent a yacht and its sailor for a bit.

I'd love to get some facebook photo's of me and close friends sunning it up in Monaco in the yacht, but that's just the show off side of me haha.

Other than the tour, the sailing, and the visiting lots of places I don't think I'd do much else to be honest. Buy a modest house (don't want to heat up a mansion for nothing) but one with a big drive and garage and I'd collect a few cars or something.

I'd probably be running out of cash about now so I'd calm down a bit and carry on making lots of forums in an office up north where Dave and me would be based along with any moderators who wanted a full time job with the business growing more forums and generally having a ball. :thumbsup:

F

faithhealer

I need only 10k to change my life. With it I would buy 2 second hand cars outright, and then my husband could give up work to raise the kids as my salary would be adequate enough to cover the mortgage and bills. happy days :)
Liz, you've got your ten grand for being modest. When I win the lottery of course. 100 grand would do me to pay the house off etc and work for fun

Reply to Life changing windfall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
I have a brick effect red brick type tile splashback at home, porcelain tiles. They have been up...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Life changing windfall
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.