UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Liftting Tiles with electric underfloor heating... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

timhuetson

Good Afternoon,

I am having problems with my bathroom floor.

Last year I completely renovated my house and decided to put an underfloor heating system in the upstairs bathroom, which is working fine apart from issues with the grout cracking and the tiles lifting in the heavy footfall area around the door.

The floor is made up of: floor boards, marine grade ply which is stuck down with no more nails, self - levelling compound in which the electrical underfloor heating is set in, then the tiles.

When we laid the ply we didn't nail it down - would this make the floor flex when it heats up therefore giving me the issues that I'm having?

It is also creaking under foot obviously with the movement.

What should I do - I cannot afford to lift all the tiles. Should I lift the offending tiles and see what is going on underneath, will these come up easy?

Please see picture below which highlights the issue, this isn't just happening in one place but several. (I have more pics if needed).

Please note I am not in the trade so need as much help as I can get!!

photo.jpg

Thanks,

Tim.

T

timhuetson

A fix or a chance ?
Only way to fix is to use correct materials and correct methods. So the correct way would be redo the job.

The chance ? would be give your way a try....it may work or may not. You really cant expect professional tilers to advise any other way than the correct way as I hope no one on here would have used 4mm ply glued with "No nails" !

I suppose its worth a chance and then if it doesn't work do a proper job.

I was new to laying floors etc, so this has been a learning curve and I should of sought advice in the first place.

But thanks for the advise its much appreciated, have you seen this happen before?

T

timhuetson

is it the ply thats at fault or is this creaking the sub floor not being prepared either and has movement though?

either way screwing through levelling compound will not solve it imo and re using the tiles is another issue

there is no quick fix its been installed incorrectly

I do think its the ply and glue thats at fault... its flexing under the pressures and when getting warm etc.

Thanks for your advice.

G

Gazzer

I suppose its worth a chance and then if it doesn't work do a proper job.

I was new to laying floors etc, so this has been a learning curve and I should of sought advice in the first place.

But thanks for the advise its much appreciated, have you seen this happen before?

You may as well give it a try as it wont cost much. if it fails again then you know what to do.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Liftting Tiles with electric underfloor heating... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi there, hoping for some help here. I am about to install a small (2.2x2.5m approx) area of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.