UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Lime scale ??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

astute1

Hi everyone, have uploaded some pics for your to check out. Is this lime scale. I tiled this bathroom and shower stall for a client about 3 yrs ago and went back to tile a second bathroom for them, they wanted the same tile set up for the 2nd job so I went to the look at the first bathroom as a reference and saw this in the bottem of the shower. The client has cleaned the shower constantly and cant get rid of this. She said it appeared only a few months after the job was complete. It will scrape off, almost like a calcium build up. I used the ardex superflex wpm and the ardex abaflex ady, ardex grouts and silacones so I cant expect there would be a compatabiltiy issue. The client is on tank water ( rain water collected from the roof) I have never had this happen before , been tiling full time for 12yrs. Can you Identify this and is there a way to stop it returning

sv400022.JPG SV400024.JPG SV400025.JPG

A

astute1

Thanks for the feed back , This was a bathroom renovation, the client had a tanked vinyl floor sloped to a waste. the shower was just open to the room, builder stripped everything out. So I was left with a floor that was dished over about 1m2, with a waste in the middle. The plumber changed the waste over to a tile waste with a leak proof flange etc. I used a self level comp and built the floor to level and then used a " newline' shower tray, ( these are a high density foam tray that are prefalled to the centre and a hob all in one.) Have used them for a long time 30 yrs warranty. Once that is installed it is waterproofed over which picks up the wall linings etc and then tiled. As I said ady, grouts and wpm are all from ardex which again I have used for a long time with no issues.

The only possible thought is the waste pipes travelling in the house concrete slab are only 35-40 mm and the client has stated that in general the waste water is slow to get away( through the entire house) If the water is not getting away properly and is sitting sub-tile in the ady, but ontop of the wpm would this promote the efforesence you spoke of.

If this is the case would it be the grout or the ady that is efforesence-ing. I have considered removing the grout and replacing with epoxy, but would or should I be lifting the shower floor and replaceing the tiles using an epoxy ady with the epoxy grout.

thanks sorry about the long winded story.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Lime scale ??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A
Hi guys, I posted a "help me" about 4 days ago to which I have had 70 odd views and no replys...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 9966
D
J
Hello, Does anyone have any ideal how i can stop Limescale leaving nasty water marks on my...
Replies
Views
G
A phone call late last week asking if I could do a job today. Yes I said, what are the details ...
Replies
Views
P
As a newbie to a Wet Room I have just inherited I am hoping you can help me. I have a 2/3 Bar...
Replies
Views
plug_it_in
P
H
Last year I tiled a bathroom with marble tiles. The client wanted a marble bath top. The...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Lime scale ???
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.