Discuss Limestone Flooring in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

donnaewilliams

Hi,

I am about to start laying approx 250 square meters of Dijon limestone flooring (100 inside and 150 outside) with regards the inside this will be laid on top of underfloor heating in a Gyvlon screed, I just wondered if I need to seal the screed first or if the adhesive can go straight onto it. I am planning on using Gfix fastset flexible adhesive in white.

Also I was wondering if I am better using an ivory grout or a limestone grout as I am not sure what colour the limestone grout is and it looks like a lot of people have problems with it.

I have been recommended to use Fila Fob to seal the stone but this is quite expensive and I wondered if anyone knew of any other similar products.

With regards the outside we are laying these on to concrete and wondered again whether best to use the adhesive or instead use a cement to set them in the house is built with lime morter so we could used something similar to this for a more rustic look?

Sorry to ask all the questions this is by far the biggest job I have done.

Donna

D

donnaewilliams

Thanks for the replies so far, in terms of the screed it has been down since the beginning of August so hopefully it is fully dried. I will do the standard polythene test before applying any tiles.

With regards the professionals, I would love to but this is part of a much bigger project as we are doing a barn conversion so unfortunately it is a cost thing.

With regards the adhesive, this is the one that both of my stone suppliers have recommended and also a couple of retailers I have spoken to, but I personally dont know much about it. Their website is www.tileadhesive.co.uk and it is the fast set Flexi. the full name is Granfix.

Thanks again

Donna

S

steveamare

Hi Donna. We import limestone from several of the quarries around Dijon and they do tend to need lots of sealer so it could work out quite expensive to use all Fob. Having said that, Fila Fob is the best sealer on the market in my opinion and well worth the extra cost. Dijon limestone is not cheap and it would be unwise to risk using one of the cheaper sealers (they tend to be cheaper because they don't contain as much active ingredient). However, to reduce the costs of sealing, I would suggest you use Fila Hydrorep as the first coat on the limestone to "fill the pores of the stone" and then just finish with a coat of Fob. It will work out cheaper and still give you an excellent result. You can send me a private message if you want details of how to use the two-stage process for sealing. I'd be happy to give you free advice.

O

Onlinetiler

Hi donna,
With regards the adhesive, always a good idea to speak to the manufacturers. They may only guarantee their products if used together with their own proprietary primers etc so on such a large job would be good to let them spec everything.
With regards the grout colour, as far as I'm aware there's no performance difference between Ivory and Limestone with any of the brands so go with whichever suits the colour of stone best.

Good luck with the project, would love to see photos of the finished job.

D

donnaewilliams

Hi Dave,

The screed was laid by our contractor so all I know is it s Lafarge Gyvlon I am afraid but I was told we went for the best available for the efficiency of the underfloor heating?

The heating has not yet been commissioned this is due in the next couple of weeks.

we have kept removing the surface contamination but are planning on giving it a light sanding and then sealing it prior to the laying of the tiles. not sure what sealer we are using yet do you have any recommendations?

with regards expansion joints I have looked into this and it appears that we should have them every 24 foot. I am not keen on the appearance of the rubber ones so may use silicone instead, on the other hand we have also been told this may not be necessary as we will have them at the edges. the single largest area is approx 35 foot by 14 foot. what do tou think?

thanks again

D

DHTiling

That area is fine for expansion.. but i recommend them in doorways..

Please have a read of this info, it will help with prep etc..

View attachment Calcium Sulphate Tech sheet Apr10.pdf .....This is a suggested primer.

View attachment Gyvlon screeds 1.pdf ....And these are the prep etc for tiling to Gyvlon screeds.

View attachment gyvlon screeds 2.pdf

You must make sure it is dry and commissioning the heating for a while this will drive out any moisture that might be left.

Also please do contact the screeder and check which Gyvlon screed it is.. normal or the new Low laitence one..

It also might be worthwhile thinking about an Uncoupling membrane like Dural Ci, good combination when working with softer stones..

Right this out side section, what substrate is this and also it is maybe getting too cold for outside tiling..

Reply to Limestone Flooring in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
We're quoting to rip up and replace a tiled floor with Limestone tiles. I'm looking for advice...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Limestone Flooring
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.