Discuss Limestone / Hardie / Chipboard ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

tomo13

I have seen this on the Schluter website on the data sheet.

Balconies / terraces
As an uncoupling membrane, Schlüter
®-
DITRA 25 neutralises the stresses between
the substrate and the tile covering that are
caused by the frequent and extensive temperature
changes occurring on balconies.
Furthermore, Schlüter
®-DITRA 25 serves as
a bonded waterproofing assembly together
with the tile covering (see notes on waterproofing).
The substrate (concrete, screed)
must be sufficiently sloped.
For refurbishments, the existing surface
assembly can generally remain, provided it is
sufficiently sloped and load bearing. Prior to
the application of Schlüter
®-DITRA 25 over
existing and cracked tile floors, the loose
tiles must be removed and the remaining
cavities filled using an appropriate mortar.
The preparations also include ensuring a
proper slope in the substrate.
We recommend Schlüter
®-DITRA-DRAIN
(see product data sheet 6.2) for coverings
with side lengths exceeding 30 x 30 cm

Is it me or does it read that you can on to existing tiles or is it different because it is on a balcony or terrace ??????????????

T

tomo13

Also have now spoken to a guy at Dural and he said, as long as the adhesive will bond to the substrate be it tiles, steel or whatever then Durabase is excellent for those types of situations. it might seem like I am trying to talk myself into it, but it would be very handy if in the future I don't need to take tiles up if they are solid and the customer wants me to go over them and there are no height issues. I always prefer to take them up but as you know trying to get tiles up that are stuck with 2 part is no fun.

S

Stef

As I said in my post, I prefer to take them up. But if a customer is adamant that they are staying and they are solid, no signs of cracking, loose tiles or damage etc. Then it would be interesting to know if these products are designed for these kind of scenarios, and this is what I am trying to find out by contacting the tech depts., as these are the people that should know ?

"These are the people that should know"
Yes they should but I would take what they say with a pinch of salt.
I foned Mapei technical about a Gyvlon screed & they told my that I don't have to bother with the screed being 75% RH & below as that's only for carpet & wood coverings, not tiles!!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
The only person that knows the condition of the current installation is the tiler that fixed it. In my opinion.
Lost count of the amount of times I've removed what looks like a sound floor but once pulled at the tiles all delaminate easy.
I don't tile on tile as a rule because i can offer absolutely no guarantee that the floor Im going over won't fail.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I've used 12 and 6mm on a 50m floor,in some areas I've had to double up.
Some timber and some concrete.
It now all feels like a solid floor,I know they say the addy underneath the boards is for voids ,but it does defo does make it more solid feeling ( and I don't mean it stops it bouncing)

I would tile over floor tiles no problem,if they were solid,it's quite easy to check,hammer and bolster ,have a crack at taking up,of they come up in ikkle pieces ,tile over them,if they come up easy take em up.
It ain't rocket science .
You all tile over a plastic membrane,which the tiles stick to ,it's plastic ,so why would tiles not stick to a solid tiled floor ?

Last edited:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Limestone / Hardie / Chipboard ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Looking for advice on how much adhesive to use. I’ve taken on my first tiling project and found...
Replies
Views
Hi, Would you use Durabase matting over Hardie 6mm floor? Im not 100% happy with the ply floor...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Quick question, when installing 6mm backer board onto a floor prior to tiling, would...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a small WC about 2m2. I realise now, that I should have taken up the Chipboard...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB