UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss limestone or porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bret.c

Hi

I'm after a bit of advice on flooring tiles, im looking tiling at the kitchen and hallway floor and i cant decide which type of tile to lay. I would like to put down a limestone/ travertine tile but i'm a bit concerned that they might pick up dirt and difficult to look after as the hallway has the front door and the kitchen has the back door. Ideally i would like a light coloured tile.

Will limestone /travertine be a problem with picking up and showing dirt even if looked after properly and sealed correctly or am i better getting the porcelain.

The porcelain tile that im looking at are from B&Q colours range -natural.

Thanks

Bret

C

Concrete guy

Porcelain will be less expensive to fit and maintain.

Limestone will look nicer, but a decent quality will cost £60sg/m +. There's also a huge varience in density in Limestone so a product like Gascogne Beige (also known as Moleanos Beige) would be ideal for a hallway, it's quite dense and hard wearing. Whereas Moleanos White or Moca Creme Fine grain would also look lovely but would be more prone to staining/damage - these are far better utilised in a bathroom enviroment.

Travertine - Looks lovely, but most travertine sold in the UK is garbage from Turkey or Iran which can be as much as 30% resin filler. Quality travertine originating from Tivoli in Italy will cost circa £80 sq/m upwards and would make a very nice hallway.

B

bret.c

Thanks for the replys. I prefer a stone on the floor but we are limited on the price, i will keep looking for the limestone.

I'd avoid buying from B&Q Bret, I've had nothing but trouble with tiles I've had to fit from there. I'm not on my own either, there have been a few threads on here about quality issues.

The tiles are in their new range just come in. What was the problem if you dont me mind asking.

Thanks

Bret

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
The tiles are in their new range just come in. What was the problem if you dont me mind asking.

Thanks

Bret

A few issues with B&Q off the top of my head, irregular sizing, transit wax issues, over priced and just general bad quality. A lot of rubbish around at the moment, not just B&Q.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone

I shouldn't have just singled them out they are just one that keeps cropping up!

B

bret.c

I've found some travertine tiles which we like and have a sample from the Crete with me. Its a light coloured tiles, what should i be looking for in the tile. From the top of the tile there doesn't seem to be a lot of filler.

If sealed properly would this tile wear well, will it put up with 2 dogs running in an out from the garden and will it clean up ok.My only concern with any tile is that after time it will show up the dirt where the main traffic is.

Thanks

Bret

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to limestone or porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.