Discuss limestone tiles turning orange in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kbaby

Hi,

Hope you can help.

Last year we installed limstone tiles on the floor of our bathroom. We were advised by the store(porcelanosa) that the tiles were already sealed. How ever not long after installing them my child was sick on the floor and even though it didnt stain it seemed to have taken the shine off the tiles in the area.
This week ive now noticed that there is a corner of the room where the tiles are turning an orange colour and the top of the tile seems to have chalky powder on it.

Does anyone know why this is happening and is there anything I can do to prevent it happening in other places and remove the orange colour. When the tile is wet the orange colour seems to go.

M

mikethetile

others with nore experince with cleaning and sealing tiles will be able to advise you on this , they will be on this evening

vomit is acidic and will have lifted the seal , the area should have been resealed , the tiler should have left you with an aftercare leaflet or explained sealing to you

as for the orange , this could be several things , did you use marine ply under the tiles

K

kbaby

ive just taken some photos to show you. Theres one showing the parts of the floor where it appears something has taken splashed the floor and after marked it, another where at the edge of doorway the tiles have some chalk growing on them(i cleaned it off yesterday so this is just whats appeared today) I removed the floor bar to get a better photo and the last one where the tiles are stained. i dont know what has stained them as its in a corner of the room where water wouldnt drip down.

Hope this helps
chalky appearence by the door | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
stained corner | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
splash marks on the 2nd tile left hand side | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kbaby

yes the stain is in a corner of the room, It has the shower above it(in the bath) but a glass shower screen above which is sealed so ive never noticed water pooling on the floor in that area, it has a wall to the left hand side and a bath panel to the top of the the stain, the bath panel isnt sealed down in case we ever needed to take it off but I think the tiles run all the way under the bath right to the far side of the wall. I know that there are hot water pipes running up the wall behind the wall tiles. I guess I wouldnt know if there was a leak unless I took the tiles off.

Do you definetly think its water damage? if so I will hve to find the cause .

Will I be able to get rid of the orange stain?

What could be causing the patch with the calcium on?

Thanks

P

Pebbs

The stain is water for sure but before you go tearing the whole floor up and ripping out the bath, just double check that that there isent any spray coming down from the shower, or running down the side of the bath. That is what Im hoping it is instead of a leak under the floor. The calcuim patch looks like efflorescence this is where the mineral salts rise to the top of the limestone, you can buy a treatment for this, strip the sealer of the tile apply the treatment and when this is completed and the tile is dry re-seal the tile.

Pebbs

D

DHTiling

OOO Yes John.. very nice cakes..

photostream

The tractor cake | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to limestone tiles turning orange in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
We recently completed the (rectified porcelain) floor tile installation in the bathroom and...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, sorry for the clunky thread title... Just over a year ago we had a side...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
limestone tiles turning orange
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks