Discuss Little bit of advice please! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

I've been quite lucky in that most of my jobs recently have been quite major, where rooms are being gutted, so there are no kitchen doors etc that need to be kept pristine.

I did recently put a very minor chip in a sink with a handsaw (don't ask). I pointed this out and the customer wasn't fussed, he most likely wouldn not have noticed anyway. I fitted some taps for him free of charge by way of an apology and he was more than happy.

S

Sully

Sorry Cornish - I can't agree.

Bolter, I'd only suggest writing a letter such as this where you have evaluated that you have something to gain. Putting my trust in your honest description of the tale, I have no trust in this client at all. If she is going to rubbish you, she'll do it anyway I think and there's little you can do. Collect your money on Saturday and treat it as a lesson learned. I can't see any gain in writing a letter at this stage.

D

david campbell

Well I went round to her, and if ever there is a Jackal and Hide case, this is it. She wouldnt even look me in the eye when she opened the door, took me through to the kitchen and stood there was the kitchen fitter. She said she wasnt happy at all with all the damage to her brand new stuff. She then pointed out more damage to me, like the extractor hood had a hair line scratch on top of it. Now all the tiling was below the hood itself so I would have had to go out of my way to scratch that! There were scratches to the front of the stainless oven aswell. I covered the "new" oven in cardboard when I first got there. And when I moved it out of the kitchen I had the front facing me and pulled it out of the oven space from the bottom. She then tells me she's used it a dozen times.

Anyway, I offered to pay and replace the kitchen door with the ding on it. The kitchen fitter offered to polish out the scratches to the oven front and the hood.

She told me she would be keeping £50 from what she owes me, and I then asked her what she wasn't happy about with regard to the invoice. She said that I had said that I was going to get 30% off for her, when in reality I said that I can get UP TO 30% discount on the tiles and I would gladly pass that on to her if I get anything off at all. Which I did, but it came out a 3%.

She then said she would pay me Saturday, I agreed, and we both left.

It could have gone worse. She kept telling me I had said this, and said that, when I hadnt, which annoys me. I know I do very decent work, to a high standard, and right now I feel like the biggest cowboy in Northamptonshire from what she said about me. :(

Lesson learned, don't rush a private, and prepare well for it. I may even give rooms a once over before I agree to work and check for damage.

:santa_cheesy: merry xmas everyone! :santa_cheesy:
unfortunately it aint legal unless its in writing(a lesson learned) dont worry you are not the first person this has happened to:santa_cheesy::santa_cheesy::santa_cheesy:

Reply to Little bit of advice please! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Moved this as I incorrectly posted in the Pro forum! Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Little bit of advice please!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.